Cinnamon as a cover scent ??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cinnamon as a cover scent ??

I use apples and pine cones for cover scent. Do you think cinnamon might work ? I have 2 jars of sticks thast have gotten too hard to gring but still have a good odor. I might give them a try. Anything special you use ?
    Anybody know where cinnamon comes from ? I looked it up. It is from the inner bark of a pine tree in Sir Lanka. Who would have thought.

jimbo, I just don't mess with scents or scent blockers. That's money I could spend on ammo or gun parts or something else gun related.

Comment

It may cover one scent, but it is not a scent in itself that deer are used to, and being out of the ordinary, it could be just as offensive. I think it is best to just play the wind and not add more unusual scents to the area !

Comment

I'm in a 12'ladder stand my scent goes up not down, the deer are more interested in the Peanut butter on a log or tree side, they bang heads to lick it.

Comment

Originally posted by Treestand View Post
          I'm in a 12'ladder stand my scent goes up not down, the deer are more interested in the Peanut butter on a log or tree side, they bang heads to lick it.
          Unfortunatly Tree, scent only goes up if the weather is warm enough for air to rise ! When cold and or cool and damp, your scent will drop like a stone. That will even happen in your warmer southern states when conditions are right.

Comment

I agree with Richard; it might put their wind up since it's not natural here. I'd stick with what nature provides.

As for general cinnamon knowledge, all I know is that there are two kinds, and one kind is way more expensive. What's on our shelves is usually called "cassius" or "cassian" or something like that, not true cinnamon. I think it's a member of the same plant family, though. This is all stuff I heard on Alton Brown's "Good Eats" episode about cinnamon, years ago.

Comment

The SMELL of Peanut Butter in the air it like the RUT is on. I had deer come from the under brush to get there likes in.

Comment

I use Dead Down Wind Scent Blocker. If it can fool a Blood Hound It's for me!!

Comment

Tree, sometimes I have to decode your words, but that is okay, it makes my brain work. Did you mean ‘likes’ or ‘licks’ ? Just spoofing you Tree, you are okay !

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget