Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My brother in Georgia built a monster box blind for deer hunting with his three grandsons. Any opinions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Happy Myles View Post
    Did you need a building permit and a zoning change? Just kidding, looks like a lot of work.
    I think a smaller blind would be warmer with a small heater during the ice cold months.

Comment

Originally posted by Henry View Post
      He should have gone the extra mile and gotten AC and television.
      I would of use the artificial green Christmas tree limbs on the outside walls.
      Stays green forever and it never rots. ?

Comment

I'm not sure I'm comfortable with lots of people in a big blind. I could carry that concept of "hunting" one step further and shoot deer out the windows of my hunting camp---and it has all the mod cons of home; electricity, running water fireplace, TV, bunks, etc.

Don't get me wrong. I've killed lots of deer from box blinds, but nothing near this fancy---just a roof to keep the rain off and plywood sides that I can see over. I feel that I should experience SOME of the outdoors, if not the whole nine yards---it's nice to be able to read a book without getting spotted.

Box blinds are great for kids to shoot their first (several) deer from, but my opinion is that they also need to be involved in the real outdoors, and squirrel and rabbit hunting give them more of that than sitting indoors and shooting a corn-fed deer from a knothole in the side of the building. The kids really don't learn much about hunting by dressing up in camo and playing Candy Crush until Dad tells them to look up and shoot that deer.

Just my opinion.

Respectfully,
        Country Road

Comment

Originally posted by pineywoods View Post
          I'm not sure I'm comfortable with lots of people in a big blind. I could carry that concept of "hunting" one step further and shoot deer out the windows of my hunting camp---and it has all the mod cons of home; electricity, running water fireplace, TV, bunks, etc.

Don't get me wrong. I've killed lots of deer from box blinds, but nothing near this fancy---just a roof to keep the rain off and plywood sides that I can see over. I feel that I should experience SOME of the outdoors, if not the whole nine yards---it's nice to be able to read a book without getting spotted.

Box blinds are great for kids to shoot their first (several) deer from, but my opinion is that they also need to be involved in the real outdoors, and squirrel and rabbit hunting give them more of that than sitting indoors and shooting a corn-fed deer from a knothole in the side of the building. The kids really don't learn much about hunting by dressing up in camo and playing Candy Crush until Dad tells them to look up and shoot that deer.

Just my opinion.

Respectfully,
          Country Road
          Yep

Comment

Looks good , beats a poncho sitting under a fallen log during a rain storm, if it gets the kids into hunting so be it, there will be plenty of time to learn woodsmen skills, I hope they all get a chance to feel the rush of being a hunter.

Comment

Just my opinion.

Respectfully,
              Country Road
              Pineywoods, you have put into words my thoughts 100% ! I have gotten myself into trouble here before stating my thinking of today’s hunting ideology and do not intend to repeat or further offend anyone, so I will say no more except, Piney ???!

Comment

Just my opinion.

Respectfully,
                Country Road
                Ditto Piney;-))

Comment

Just my opinion.

Respectfully,
                  Country Road
                  Ditto, again. And here's a sad commentary on the state of outdoor media, in some circles, anyway: Last deer season, my local paper's outdoor editor (use the term loosely) did at least two features on hunters' box blinds equipped with TVs, video games, easy chairs, etc., as if that was the way everyone does it now. And he did zero features on any other aspect of deer hunting, other than the poaching violations.

Comment

Originally posted by rockhound View Post
                    I like it. Getting the next generation into our sport is the only way to see it continue. I would think he involved those young folks in the construction. They own it and will benefit from that educational experience(s) for the rest of their lives.
                    And this next generation will pass on what they are learning as the way to hunt that is now being taught to them ........ ! What do we see hunting to be in the next 40-50 years the direction it is now going ? Is hunting an open book, or does it some how need peramiters ? And if so, what should they be ?

Comment

Looks great. I would have one if I had a bigger food plot on the little place I hunt. I have three grandson myself the oldest two 5 and 4 are going this year. And we are sitting in a huge ground blind. I agree that a huge comfy box blind may not be the total hunting experience, but as hunter we can ill afford at this point to not be trying to get the next generation of hunters interested. I think it’s great he’s taking his grandkids. I also don’t think dragging young children out to hunt like we do as grown men do is a reasonable expectation. I know I won’t dragging them into a treestand for at least another 4 to 5 years. And even then it will depend on them. I hunt from ground blinds mostly. I find climbing trees in the dark to be taxing to say the least. And i had a bad experience with a climber about 20 years ago. And ladder stands ain’t much better not much up on the top end. Looks good to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Henry View Post
                        He should have gone the extra mile and gotten AC and television.
                        No need to camouflage the outside walls at all.
                        The deer are not blind.
                        But I don't think they understand the concept of hollowness within a large object like a building

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget