Do you see many whitetail deer twins?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PigHunter
    started a topic Do you see many whitetail deer twins?

Do you see many whitetail deer twins?

Yesterday, I saw a doe with two spotted fawns while I was exploring the hunting lease. My assumption is that the two little ones are twins.

Doing some research, I found the attached article from the Penn State College of Agricultural Sicence. One of the interesting things I learned from it is:

"White-tailed twins are of the fraternal variety. Does ovulate multiple eggs which are then fertilized by different sperm. So while all fawns look alike none of them are actually identical twins even if they do have the same mom."

But even more interesting:

"White-tailed twins have about a 20 to 25% chance of not even being fraternal twins! They, in fact, are only half siblings – twins only in the most basic use of the term. Which exposes a new truth in white-tailed breeding ecology: does mate with multiple bucks."

Sounds like a wild time in the forest! Did you know this about whitetails? Do you see does with two fawns in your neck of the woods?

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget