Do you see many whitetail deer twins?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you see many whitetail deer twins?

Yesterday, I saw a doe with two spotted fawns while I was exploring the hunting lease. My assumption is that the two little ones are twins.

Doing some research, I found the attached article from the Penn State College of Agricultural Sicence. One of the interesting things I learned from it is:

"White-tailed twins are of the fraternal variety. Does ovulate multiple eggs which are then fertilized by different sperm. So while all fawns look alike none of them are actually identical twins even if they do have the same mom."

But even more interesting:

"White-tailed twins have about a 20 to 25% chance of not even being fraternal twins! They, in fact, are only half siblings – twins only in the most basic use of the term. Which exposes a new truth in white-tailed breeding ecology: does mate with multiple bucks."

Sounds like a wild time in the forest! Did you know this about whitetails? Do you see does with two fawns in your neck of the woods?

I did not know about the blatant promiscuity going on all around me in the woodlands. Actually, I tried to promote it among my own species when I was a lot younger, but had little success---wait, I'm not supposed to admit that. Oh well, what the hail, it's too late to worry about that now.

Seldom see twin fawns around my place, probably due to lack of quality food sources. The pet does at the camp dropped their fawns two weeks ago, but haven't brought them up for inspection yet.

Comment

I thought it was more prevalent to be honest. I thought the reason I only saw 1 fawn was because something had already happened to the other one in the litter

Comment

It is quite common around my area, (that being rich farm land) to see twin fawns. From most that I have read, nutrition is the most important thing concerning if one or two fawns are dropped ! Age of the doe may also be a factor, too young or too old, but I am not up on that fact. We as hunters want more deer, farmers want less with a balance that is difficult to reach. Sort of like sex in the human siuation, lol !

The article was very interesting reading. I was of the thought that a doe was only in estures for around 36 hours and that the breeding buck stayed with her for all that time and thus was the sire of dropped fawns ! Evidently does have “hot pants” more than I thought. Must be good to be a male deer, oops, there is always hunting season to take into consideration ! But then, good aspects of life always seem to have a down side !

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
          It is quite common around my area, (that being rich farm land) to see twin fawns. From most that I have read, nutrition is the most important thing concerning if one or two fawns are dropped ! Age of the doe may also be a factor, too young or too old, but I am not up on that fact. We as hunters want more deer, farmers want less with a balance that is difficult to reach. Sort of like sex in the human siuation, lol !

The article was very interesting reading. I was of the thought that a doe was only in estures for around 36 hours and that the breeding buck stayed with her for all that time and thus was the sire of dropped fawns ! Evidently does have “hot pants” more than I thought. Must be good to be a male deer, oops, there is always hunting season to take into consideration ! But then, good aspects of life always seem to have a down side !
          Looks like the does also have a good time!

Comment

Originally posted by pineywoods View Post
            I did not know about the blatant promiscuity going on all around me in the woodlands. Actually, I tried to promote it among my own species when I was a lot younger, but had little success---wait, I'm not supposed to admit that. Oh well, what the hail, it's too late to worry about that now.

Seldom see twin fawns around my place, probably due to lack of quality food sources. The pet does at the camp dropped their fawns two weeks ago, but haven't brought them up for inspection yet.
            Actually blatant promiscuity survives well into the senior years. So, there's still opportunity for you Country Road!

Comment

I set up a trail cam during the summer of 2012. I got many photos of spotted fawns in July and August.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by pineywoods View Post

I don’t know about that PH, it all depends if he can get a doe to stand still long enough !

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
                  I set up a trail cam during the summer of 2012. I got many photos of spotted fawns in July and August.
                  Nice pictures Gary, thanks !

Comment

I see a fair amount of twin fawns on trail camera. I did get a first for me this summer, a set of triplets. I'll see if I can find the picture.

Comment

I'd like to see that pic if you can find it

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post
                        I thought it was more prevalent to be honest. I thought the reason I only saw 1 fawn was because something had already happened to the other one in the litter
                        I was just the opposite and thought it to be a rare occurrence.

Comment

Here you go Pighunter. Found some pics of the triplets. I also selected a couple of others to get you excited for deer season. Youth season starts in 1 week, and I'll be taking my Assistant's son to this field. We are hoping for his first deer....odds are in his favor.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by neuman23 View Post
                            Here you go Pighunter. Found some pics of the triplets. I also selected a couple of others to get you excited for deer season. Youth season starts in 1 week, and I'll be taking my Assistant's son to this field. We are hoping for his first deer....odds are in his favor.
                            Now that's interesting, thanks. Best wishes for the yougster's success. Our archery deer season starts October 15.

Comment

FWC classes Young 4yr/o Bucks make twins more often then not (they got the power);-)) That's why we are a QDM No 4-pointers taken.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget