Early season ML

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early season ML

Hard to get a shot with all the foliage.
    Attached Files

Is it correct to assume this is a past photo of you deer hunting? I thought the special muzzleloader season in Ohio was in January.

http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/hunting-trapping-and-shooting-sports/hunting-trapping-regulations/season-dates-and-bag-limits
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
      Is it correct to assume this is a past photo of you deer hunting? I thought the special muzzleloader season in Ohio was in January.

http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/hunting-trapping-and-shooting-sports/hunting-trapping-regulations/season-dates-and-bag-limits
      This was an early season they traded with the Jan ML season. I liked it but a lot of people did not - archers complained because the 5 day early ML cut into their 5 month archery season. My ML is an NEF .50cal. with a Redfield 2X7.

Comment

That looks like a widow maker you are going to be walking under in a minute.

It reminds me of a time in the Adirondacks when a micro burst went through where we hunt. Broken tree tops all over the place hanging by a thread. Real dangerous day.

Comment

The local pawn shop had a NEF muzzleloader last year and I almost bought it. However, I have two ML's already and didn't really need it so I passed it up.

Yep, that tree in my pic doesn't look too stable. That's in a flat, swampy area between two rivers and there's no hills around to slow the wind. I tend to stay home if the forecast calls for gusts over 12mph. But micro bursts are hard to predict.

Comment

Hoping to get a muzzleloader soon, just something cheap, maybe even the .50cal ML barrel they make for Mossberg 500s. In NC ml season begins a couple weeks before rifle season does, and deer are still receiving very little pressure. But it looks very similar to your photos- with my bow this year I saw plenty of deer, but wasn’t able to get a shot at 98% of them because of the dense early season foliage

Comment

Originally posted by Outlaw View Post
              Hoping to get a muzzleloader soon, just something cheap, maybe even the .50cal ML barrel they make for Mossberg 500s. In NC ml season begins a couple weeks before rifle season does, and deer are still receiving very little pressure. But it looks very similar to your photos- with my bow this year I saw plenty of deer, but wasn’t able to get a shot at 98% of them because of the dense early season foliage
              This is a good time of the year to pick up a muzzleloader. Fortunately, you can buy those off the web and have them shipped directly to your house with no restrictions (in most parts of the country). Here's a good one at The Sportsman's Guide:

Thompson / Center Impact Blued Barrel .50 cal.
              https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/thompson-center-impact-blued-barrel-50-cal-black-powder-rifle?a=1588207

Comment

Check your local Wal-Mart. I have seen them have clearance sales ML. I had just bought a Omega Z5 a few months early and came across a sale that would have saved several $$ on the price.

Comment

Originally posted by Outlaw View Post
                  Try and get one with a nitride barrel. WAY easier to clean.

Comment

Originally posted by rockhound View Post
                    Check your local Wal-Mart. I have seen them have clearance sales ML. I had just bought a Omega Z5 a few months early and came across a sale that would have saved several $$ on the price.
                    Walmart carries the CVA 'Wolf', CVA 'Optima V2', and the Traditions 'Buckstalker'

https://www.walmart.com/search/?cat_id=4125_546956_1107532_1225336_1225338&query= muzzleloader#searchProductResult

Comment

If I'm going to end the life of a critter. I will use a tool that I have trust to do the job. I have a CVA and I can tell you putting the primer in is a major pain( putting it as polite as I can).

Comment

I'm have a CVA Electra, but am not a fan. T/C is what I suggest.

Comment

The NEF uses a plastic carrier for the primer. Easy to use when the fingers get cold. I load to 100gr Triple7. Some, like my Nephew, go way past that but my thinking is WHY ? If I hit a deer in lthe toe it's going down.

Comment

It's like that in Arkansas early ML. You can hear more than you see lol!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget