Are does tougher than bucks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are does tougher than bucks?

Thinking back over this past deer season, and even venturing into the dismal swamp that is my memory, it seems to me that does are possessed of more stamina than bucks when it comes to being shot. I killed several does this season since our population is getting out of whack, and on every one of them, I aimed for a DRT shot, hitting the heart and breaking at least one shoulder. Every one of them ran at least forty yards and none of them fell at the shot (7mm-08 120gr Barnes TTX). The last three bucks I've killed (same shot) dropped right there or only made one jump. We pooled our ignorance at the hunting camp and agreed that unless a doe's nervous system is interrupted by a spine or neck shot, they tend to run off more than bucks---the exception being the kids who used my .243 (90gr Hornady) and put them on the ground, which was good since only half the bullets made an exit wound. Maybe I'm answering my own question here, but what is your experience? I'm picky about what bucks I shoot, so I don't have as large a number sample for comparison, but hey, we're in the depths of February, so what else do we have to do except reminisce and speculate?

Country, We shoot the same caliber & bullet weight I go for the Hi-lung area on Bucks and does One Shot Stop. I gave up on the Heart shot long a go.

Comment

Also shoot the 7-08. Since 1990. Either 140 gr partitions or for the last several years federal fusions. The deer that amazed me most were older bucks + 4 yrs. Only a handful but they are the ones that impressed me. As for toughness by species I put antelope at 1, white tails at 2, mulies a distant 3. My 2 cents. Can't say caliber made much difference in the killing either when comparing others animals taken on our place, 20 deer a year give or take for 20+ yrs.

Comment

Ain't nuttin' wrong with yer shooting!
        Every deer reacts differently!
        Every bullet travels a different path!

Comment

Years ago, my little brother shot a six point buck during archery season that had three broken ribs.
          On Southern Iowa live deer cam there are two bucks with horrible leg injuries.
          I believe more bucks are wounded during hunting season and carry that injury for years to come. ?
          Bucks also spar and fight during the entire rut. ?
          Many bucks chase does across highways and get killed or injured. ?
          I vote bucks are tougher.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
            Years ago, my little brother shot a six point buck during archery season that had three broken ribs.
            I believe more bucks are wounded during hunting season and carry that injury for years to come. ?
            On live deer cam even the young small wyes and spike bucks walk into the feeder all the does move away.
            Bucks are the tougher of the species.

Comment

Country Road in MHO bucks are tougher than does and I think that the bullets striking does with lesser body mass do not let the bullet to expend all its energy. My young son shot a few does with his 243 and they went down as though they were struck with the hand of god! He also had a couple run hit hard with his 270 win and 3006 .that ran always . I always have felt my 3006 was more gun than I needed for Whitetails and I have seen much more spectacular kills with the 7mmo8 and 260 rem. I feel due to bullets energy being utilized .

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
                If they put up with does., what we have to put up with wives, they would have to be tougher. And I say that with a smile, my wife might sneak in and read this ! And I better add LOL too !!

Comment

I,m with 1st bubba, no two deer are alike,and every situation is different , that's why we do our best to follow up every shot ,to be honest I gave up trails after losing a blood trail only to find the carcass a few yards farther .

Comment

My experience with the ones I've either shot or helped track is the same as Country Road's, generally speaking.
                    I can't say that they're tougher, but they do seem to cover a greater distance when dead on their feet. This goes for bow as well as rifles.
                    Dewman mentioned something though that has me thinking. I've never killed a buck over 3 1/2 years old, but looking back the does that really hauled the mail were probably older deer. Possible it's more age related than sex?

Comment

Originally posted by Pmacc60 View Post
                      Country Road in MHO bucks are tougher than does and I think that the bullets striking does with lesser body mass do not let the bullet to expend all its energy. My young son shot a few does with his 243 and they went down as though they were struck with the hand of god! He also had a couple run hit hard with his 270 win and 3006 .that ran always . I always have felt my 3006 was more gun than I needed for Whitetails and I have seen much more spectacular kills with the 7mmo8 and 260 rem. I feel due to bullets energy being utilized .
                      That doesn't explain why they cover so much ground after being hit with an arrow.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                        My experience with the ones I've either shot or helped track is the same as Country Road's, generally speaking.
                        I can't say that they're tougher, but they do seem to cover a greater distance when dead on their feet. This goes for bow as well as rifles.
                        Dewman mentioned something though that has me thinking. I've never killed a buck over 3 1/2 years old, but looking back the does that really hauled the mail were probably older deer. Possible it's more age related than sex?
                        I think you're onto something there.

Comment

Too many variables to make an accurate conclusion. Use the rifle and ammo that works for you and try to make the best shot you can.

Comment

Originally posted by Pmacc60 View Post
                            Fitch I think we may be talking about a different thing altogether with an arrow. Is it toughness or endurance you are confusing here? Let’s use boxers as a reference , it has long been known that a heavy muscled boxer tires much more easily than a lighter muscled fighter. The muscles taking and using more blood flow. Heavy muscle ( bucks ) tire quicker and lighter muscle doesn’t (does) . The arrow kills on loss of blood . Less muscle more endurance . Same as bullet theory , two punches may be thrown with equal amount of force . One glances off not catching the intended victim clean and zips on by the other catches the intended flush knocking him out cold . All the energy expended verses much of the energy expended out side the intend target. Fitch it’s only my oppinion and now you understand how I come to my oppinion .

Comment

I'm with Jimbo and Bubba and don't have enough information to make a judgment one way or another. So far, I haven't noticed a difference. Had one buck go over two hundred yards with a double lung hit from a .30-06 and have never seen a doe do that.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• The college student puzzle..
                                by 99explorer
                                A student rides his scooter to the train station to go to college. His home in between two train stations.
                                The first station is a mile from home,...
                                Yesterday, 01:58 PM
                              • Pieces of gold.
                                by 99explorer
                                Which is worth more, a pound of $10 gold pieces, or half a pound of $20 gold pieces?
                                08-23-2019, 06:45 PM
                              • Mansion on fire.
                                by 99explorer
                                One of Jeffrey Epstein's mansions is on fire.
                                It has three main rooms. One is full of money in cash, another contains valuable paintings, and the...
                                08-23-2019, 10:04 AM
                              • Firing squad.
                                by 99explorer
                                A man is shot by 12 members of a firing squad, and the squad officer administers the coup de grace with a bullet to the head.
                                This final shot does...
                                08-22-2019, 09:07 PM
                              • Lost in the woods.
                                by 99explorer
                                You are lost in the woods and come to a fork in the road.
                                One path leads to civilization and the other will get you lost forever.
                                Two Indians...
                                08-22-2019, 01:24 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X