Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How year round scouting pays big dividends?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How year round scouting pays big dividends?

Persistence

I know it's early for this type of post ,yesterday Dec.17th our late blackpowder season ended,this afternoon an old friend I hunted on a few years back asked where I had been,seems he has been watching a big deer feeding with 7 or 8 doe every morning ,he said he would get his picture and forward to me.I filled my tag during regular season. Next season ,started today.

Comment

Our deer season ends on February 10th. Small game season ends on March 4th so I use that extra month in the woods to hunt for pigs and do a little post season scouting for the next deer season. Since I don't hunt turkeys, I'm usually not back into the woods until small game season starts again in late September.

I see no value in knowing summer deer patterns since our archery season doesn't start until mid October. Besides, the late Spring to early Fall warm temps means more chances for dealing with snakes, ticks, chiggers, mosquitos and gnats.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
        Our deer season ends on February 10th. Small game season ends on March 4th so I use that extra month in the woods to hunt for pigs and do a little post season scouting for the next deer season. Since I don't hunt turkeys, I'm usually not back into the woods until small game season starts again in late September.

I see no value in knowing summer deer patterns since our archery season doesn't start until mid October. Besides, the late Spring to early Fall warm temps means more chances for dealing with snakes, ticks, chiggers, mosquitos and gnats.
        It's not the patterns I,m looking for,rather it's the specific deer that have survived the seasons and more than likely will be there next season, beats starting out without a clue if a good deer is there

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

Ditto PH......;-))

Comment

I always observe any sign I see anytime I am in any woods but I don't go out looking for sign, except, when I am looking for sheds.

Comment

I scout in Feburary and March. You can see a long distance with less tree foliage. ?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget