Kansas deer down!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kansas deer down!

You may recall a couple months ago I posted a reply to Pighunter under his answer to a question posed by JM in which I mentioned I was getting a .300Blackout AR put together for one of my younger sisters to hunt with. PH asked me to post what I wound up doing and how it worked, so here goes.
    Time it was all said and done I had a Anderson lower, Magpul slim-line stock, DS Arms upper, Nikon P-rings and a Leupold VX-1 2-7X35 scope all cobbled together and sighted in with Winchester's 150 grain Deer Season XP.
    Shortly after 5 this afternoon a young doe made the fatal mistake of stopping broadside at 20 yards. Shot placement was impeccable with the bullet passing just back of the heart, completely destroying the pulmonary arteries. The doe ran about a hundred yards before going down in full view, resulting in an ecstatic eleven year old. They(mom took her hunting this afternoon) got her loaded and hauled to the garage where we got her weighed(70 pounds live(approx.) & 48 a pound carcass) and dressed(undressed seems a more accurate description of the process, but I digress).

In summary, the rifle turned out well, the ammo performed as advertised and, most important, my little sister's efforts paid off this afternoon when she harvested her first deer.

Congratulations, and welcome to deer hunting

Comment

Originally posted by 6phunter View Post
      Congratulations, and welcome to deer hunting
      Thanks 6P.

Comment

Nice! That indeed turned out to be a great build. I'm glad it worked out so well in taking her first deer! Great job helping another hunter successfully join the ranks.

Thanks for the update - that's given me renewed incentive to check out that 150 grain load and see how well it does in my rifle.

Comment

There is no hunt more critical than the first. Flawless success, such as you achieved, can make or break a new hunter. In our youth we had generous small game seasons with many,many, chances at success with miles of available ground to hunt. The outdoors of today's beginner is smaller, time is shorter, and most start with deer which make taking game a long odds proposition. Cold sits with hours of boredom test even us hunt proven old timers and can easily discourage first timers.It takes real effort to even the odds for the newbies. For your hard work in helping bring a new person into the fold, thank you. Your victory is all of ours. After reading Mr. Gary's narrative of the B.S. going on in New Jersey, doubly so.

Comment

Congratulations! My younger sister would never have anything to do with shooting or hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
              Nice! That indeed turned out to be a great build. I'm glad it worked out so well in taking her first deer! Great job helping another hunter successfully join the ranks.

Thanks for the update - that's given me renewed incentive to check out that 150 grain load and see how well it does in my rifle.
              Thanks PH.
              I haven't done any 100 yard testing with the rifle other than to sight it in with the Deer Season XP, which was delivering 1.5"-2" groups. Sometime I will test more to see if what will do better, but for her first season when she's not comfortable shooting past 50yds it proved more than adequate.
              BTW, the rifling is 1/7.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                There is no hunt more critical than the first. Flawless success, such as you achieved, can make or break a new hunter. In our youth we had generous small game seasons with many,many, chances at success with miles of available ground to hunt. The outdoors of today's beginner is smaller, time is shorter, and most start with deer which make taking game a long odds proposition. Cold sits with hours of boredom test even us hunt proven old timers and can easily discourage first timers.It takes real effort to even the odds for the newbies. For your hard work in helping bring a new person into the fold, thank you. Your victory is all of ours. After reading Mr. Gary's narrative of the B.S. going on in New Jersey, doubly so.
                Thank you Dewman.
                One huge advantage my family has being a farmers is we have access to a lot of great hunting, which, despite shorter seasons, gives us ample opportunity to punch our tags.

Comment

Originally posted by Henry View Post
                  Congratulations! My younger sister would never have anything to do with shooting or hunting.
                  Thanks Henry.

Comment

You just made your biggest fan( your younger sister) a hunting companion for a life time. Congratulations!

Comment

Originally posted by rockhound View Post
                      You just made your biggest fan( your younger sister) a hunting companion for a life time. Congratulations!
                      Thanks Rockhound.
                      I'm not sure about hunting companion for life, the next decade or so, on the other hand...

Comment

Love those AR's!
                        Congrats on a successful build and initial hunt!

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                          Love those AR's!
                          Congrats on a successful build and initial hunt!
                          Thanks Bubba.

Comment

Was going to ask you about your barrel's rifling rate. Mine is 1:7 and I've tested four different loads during the short break in. I had trouble with feeding from the magazine using the Hornady 110 gr Full Boar load with GMX bullet ( 1-7/16" @ 100). The Remington 120 gr OTFB produced a dismal 3-1/4" group. The Hornady 135 gr FTX was also unsatisfactory with a 3-1/8" group. However, the Hornady 125 gr HP produced the best 5-shot groups of about 1-1/4". I'm a little hesitant to hunt with the bullet because it is a hollow point. But, a coworker's son killed two deer with that loading last year. He said it created a great wound channel. My plan is to revisit the other three loads and perhaps try more.

Comment

Correction: the barrel is 1/7 twist, not 1/8. I've edited the original statement to correct my error.
                              My apologies.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget