Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey Guys, I have two bucks on my bear location trail camera. Check out these photos. My two questions are in details.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Guys, I have two bucks on my bear location trail camera. Check out these photos. My two questions are in details.

1. Would you shoot buck number one or would you wait for something bigger?

2. If you shot buck number two what would you do with the antlers?
    A. Mount it as is.
    B. Get the taxidermist to repair the broken point, then mount it.
    C. Put it on a plaque.
    D. Hang it over a shed or barn door.
    E. Give it away.
    F. Throw it away.
    G. Rattle with them.
    H. Do something else with them.
    Attached Files

It's public land so I'll kill whichever one stepped into range first. They are both good size and would provide lots of meat. I've already got enough antlers on the wall. So, the second one's antlers would be treated just like those of the 9-point I shot last season. Part of the skull holding them hacksawed off and left outside for the year to let the insects clean it. Can't eat antlers but they can be used for knife handles and other things.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
      It's public land so I'll kill whichever one stepped into range first. They are both good size and would provide lots of meat. I've already got enough antlers on the wall. So, the second one's antlers would be treated just like those of the 9-point I shot last season. Part of the skull holding them hacksawed off and left outside for the year to let the insects clean it. Can't eat antlers but they can be used for knife handles and other things.
      The Auburn lights went out in Georgia.

21-7 Bulldogs with 12:12 to go in the game.

Comment

I keep all the racks, even the dinks. Only mount I have is from my first buck, which happens to be my biggest to date. I do have a skull at the taxidermist right now for a euro mount. Not big enough to mount but too nice for hacking off.
        Attached Files

Comment

Both ,get a free pass,year and half old. If I,m after meat a doe or two or three

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
            I keep all the racks, even the dinks. Only mount I have is from my first buck, which happens to be my biggest to date. I do have a skull at the taxidermist right now for a euro mount. Not big enough to mount but too nice for hacking off.
            This is a good deer wig

Comment

Euro mounts are easy to do yourself,cut from corner of mouth ,then down between the ears and rack,skin and clean,boil away the rest,soak in peroxide couple days,try to keep solution off antlers,touch up with shoe polish if it fades a little,

Comment

I usually do them myself, cut from behind the ears down through the nose with a saws all. Didn't want to do that with this one because I thought it would look better with the whole skull. I don't have a pot big enough for this rack to fit in, and didn't feel like messing around cleaning it out. Local guy does good work, I don't mind spending a few dollars to have it done right. Last one was $50 and the cape.

Comment

Originally posted by 6phunter View Post
                  Both ,get a free pass,year and half old. If I,m after meat a doe or two or three
                  6PH, if these are not shooter bucks, than I would love to see Photos of some of your bucks.
                  Please Post them on this thread. Thanks

Comment

On controlled private, I would pass. On public or small private, it's "Mr. Whitetail, would you care to try one of my federal fusions?" In a heartbeat.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                      Yep, I quit watching with about 10 minutes left in the game. Didn't have an emotional investment in the outcome. PigHuntress and I were getting the house ready for a Holiday party. We moved much of the furniture out of the great room, rolling up the rug to expose the hardwood floor for better dancing. Our friends started showing up shortly after the game and we had a fun time eating, drinking, talking, dancing, and singing! Yep, it would have been nice if Auburn hadn't lost the game but I'll never let something like that spoil a good time with friends.

Comment

Even Dasher indulged with a little Holiday Spirit last night... (Kentucky deer)
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 6phunter View Post
                          Lol, Wouldn't, that kinda be like boasting, or are you a just a non-believer? I,m not very good with this technology but If you insist then I can get some help.

Comment

I forget your in New Jersey,so I,m not sure if these are considered big bucks there.They wouldn't, get a second glance here ,I assure you.Taking bucks of this class is the best guarantee you will not take many true trophy bucks. I don,t mean to seem arrogant but that's the truth. Look up Kentucky bucks ,there are lots of big boys. Anybody lucky can take one,the trick is to take them regularly ,and that's not luck .

Comment

I'd pass on both. They're younger deer.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget