Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why am I a trophy hunter.?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Why am I a trophy hunter.?

    More to the hunt than just a kill

  • #2
    It started 1961 ,my father and his brother brought home two nice bucks.I was 8 years old and mesmerized by the antlers,I quietly vowed to myself, one day I too would hunt and take a deer like these..Nearly sixty years I remember some hunts vividly,some are forgotten.The racks each have their own stories,and the mounts that fill some rooms give way to nostalgia,lost hunting partners,young smiling faces,brutal cold days.It,s a reason to make my hunts longer stays in the wood,just listening ,watching,smelling and some years the feeling of excitement that an 8 year old boy felt long ago .

    Comment


    • #3
      In Truth,Your no Different then any other young boy growing up in "Rural America"! I grew up as a Farm boy too! In a family of hunters with woman that could cook(good) all types of wild game;-))

      Comment


      • #4
        The main reason I am a trophy hunter for black bear is because I have harvest four black bears already. Two in Canada, one in Maine and one in New Jersey. I have two half mounts and two bear rugs.
        My largest black bear was 250 pounds Field dressed. I no longer want average size Black Bears.
        I am seeking a Big Bear approximately 400 pounds on up.

        Now, My older brother shoots the first bear he sees. He has harvest four bears in his life time also. Most of his Bears were yearling Cubs (22 months old) shot on opening day. I have asked him, "Bill, why not let the small Bears eat at your bait pile and a bigger bear will come in because it's safe with other Bears in the area?" He always has an excuse. "I though the bear was bigger" or "the bear was limping so I did a mercy killing."
        I gave up on Brother Bill, he can shoot all the Small fry bears he wants. It's legal in NJ to shoot a first year cub the size of a gym bag. Thank God, Brother Bill didn't swoop to that level.

        The bad thing about being a trophy hunter you do get skunk a lot. JMO

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by 6phunter View Post
          It started 1961 ,my father and his brother brought home two nice bucks.I was 8 years old and mesmerized by the antlers,I quietly vowed to myself, one day I too would hunt and take a deer like these..Nearly sixty years I remember some hunts vividly,some are forgotten.The racks each have their own stories,and the mounts that fill some rooms give way to nostalgia,lost hunting partners,young smiling faces,brutal cold days.It,s a reason to make my hunts longer stays in the wood,just listening ,watching,smelling and some years the feeling of excitement that an 8 year old boy felt long ago .
          Can’t be explained better than that. Challenge, excitement, adventure in new places. Thank you

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by 6phunter View Post
            It started 1961 ,my father and his brother brought home two nice bucks.I was 8 years old and mesmerized by the antlers,I quietly vowed to myself, one day I too would hunt and take a deer like these..Nearly sixty years I remember some hunts vividly,some are forgotten.The racks each have their own stories,and the mounts that fill some rooms give way to nostalgia,lost hunting partners,young smiling faces,brutal cold days.It,s a reason to make my hunts longer stays in the wood,just listening ,watching,smelling and some years the feeling of excitement that an 8 year old boy felt long ago .
            6PH, Very good point. All my bruiser mounts bring back great memories.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
              The main reason I am a trophy hunter for black bear is because I have harvest four black bears already. Two in Canada, one in Maine and one in New Jersey. I have two half mounts and two bear rugs.
              My largest black bear was 250 pounds Field dressed. I no longer want average size Black Bears.
              I am seeking a Big Bear approximately 400 pounds on up.

              Now, My older brother shoots the first bear he sees. He has harvest four bears in his life time also. Most of his Bears were yearling Cubs (22 months old) shot on opening day. I have asked him, "Bill, why not let the small Bears eat at your bait pile and a bigger bear will come in because it's safe with other Bears in the area?" He always has an excuse. "I though the bear was bigger" or "the bear was limping so I did a mercy killing."
              I gave up on Brother Bill, he can shoot all the Small fry bears he wants. It's legal in NJ to shoot a first year cub the size of a gym bag. Thank God, Brother Bill didn't swoop to that level.

              The bad thing about being a trophy hunter you do get skunk a lot. JMO
              One of the down sides of shooting the first animal you see is that it usually ends the hunting season for you.
              I once hunted with a young lad who took a small buck on opening day, and he spent the rest of the season playing dog for me.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
                The main reason I am a trophy hunter for black bear is because I have harvest four black bears already. Two in Canada, one in Maine and one in New Jersey. I have two half mounts and two bear rugs.
                My largest black bear was 250 pounds Field dressed. I no longer want average size Black Bears.
                I am seeking a Big Bear approximately 400 pounds on up.

                Now, My older brother shoots the first bear he sees. He has harvest four bears in his life time also. Most of his Bears were yearling Cubs (22 months old) shot on opening day. I have asked him, "Bill, why not let the small Bears eat at your bait pile and a bigger bear will come in because it's safe with other Bears in the area?" He always has an excuse. "I though the bear was bigger" or "the bear was limping so I did a mercy killing."
                I gave up on Brother Bill, he can shoot all the Small fry bears he wants. It's legal in NJ to shoot a first year cub the size of a gym bag. Thank God, Brother Bill didn't swoop to that level.

                The bad thing about being a trophy hunter you do get skunk a lot. JMO
                99, good point, do you want his phone number. He will not listen to me. ?? ?
                He is the total opposite of me, when it comes to bear hunting.
                I see an anti hunting troll mouse crawled into our OL nest, with dings for everybody.?
                The coward has nothing to say in writing.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Treestand View Post
                  In Truth,Your no Different then any other young boy growing up in "Rural America"! I grew up as a Farm boy too! In a family of hunters with woman that could cook(good) all types of wild game;-))
                  Treestand -
                  I don't think so.
                  Most of the country boys I've known were meat hunters.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Just being out there and being a part of the natural world a huge part of it. Just this evening, not 30 minutes ago, I had a small six point and a fairly good eight point on my food plot. I let them go because I have young nephews coming to hunt with me later in the season and they will get a lot more out of killing them than I will. Unless a buck is a real Joe Darter, I'll let him go and stock my freezer with doe meat. I just feel blessed to be out there breathing the same air as these beautiful animals---and eating them for supper.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I keep a hunting log. In years past it was in a bound book but these days it's electronic. My photos and stories recording my hunts are my trophies. I'm more interested in the experience rather in keeping antlers. Last year's big buck's are still hanging on a tree in the back yard, forgotten most of the time.

                      Today I let a young buck walk and later killed a pig. I really enjoy killing swine. It's not about the meat, trophy, photos, or bragging. It's simply the thrill of the kill.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                        I keep a hunting log. In years past it was in a bound book but these days it's electronic. My photos and stories recording my hunts are my trophies. I'm more interested in the experience rather in keeping antlers. Last year's big buck's are still hanging on a tree in the back yard, forgotten most of the time.

                        Today I let a young buck walk and later killed a pig. I really enjoy killing swine. It's not about the meat, trophy, photos, or bragging. It's simply the thrill of the kill.
                        I gave some thought a few times how as hunters we evolve,we each have different goals and things we cherish more than others,now days I don,t get a thrill out of killing,its more like something I do to account for being a part of things.Maybe it's just me ,I don,t know if others feel this way at times,

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                          I keep a hunting log. In years past it was in a bound book but these days it's electronic. My photos and stories recording my hunts are my trophies. I'm more interested in the experience rather in keeping antlers. Last year's big buck's are still hanging on a tree in the back yard, forgotten most of the time.

                          Today I let a young buck walk and later killed a pig. I really enjoy killing swine. It's not about the meat, trophy, photos, or bragging. It's simply the thrill of the kill.
                          I never did get a thrill out of taking life. I don't even use the word "kill."
                          I take game by shooting it.
                          I shot a pheasant and I took a nice eight-pointer.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                            I keep a hunting log. In years past it was in a bound book but these days it's electronic. My photos and stories recording my hunts are my trophies. I'm more interested in the experience rather in keeping antlers. Last year's big buck's are still hanging on a tree in the back yard, forgotten most of the time.

                            Today I let a young buck walk and later killed a pig. I really enjoy killing swine. It's not about the meat, trophy, photos, or bragging. It's simply the thrill of the kill.
                            To each their own. I'm honest about the feelings and don't typically use euphemisms. If I just wanted meat, it would be easier to get it from the grocer. Paintings and other art could be placed on the wall instead of a trophy's head. Hiking, canoeing, and fishing could provide the needed time outdoors. Stalking with a camera would take as much or more skill than using a firearm.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I have been taking does for years and now have 11 and 12 point bucks on my place. I don't shoot them, just let them spread their genes.
                              This gun season so far we have a 6pt basket rack buck which we cull when we see them, and 4 does. Two more days to go for gun season, then archery opens again.

                              Comment

                              Welcome!

                              Collapse

                              Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

                              If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

                              And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

                              Right Rail 1 Ad

                              Collapse

                              Top Active Users

                              Collapse

                              There are no top active users.

                              Right Rail 2 Ad

                              Collapse

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              There are no results that meet this criteria.

                              Right Rail 3 Ad

                              Collapse

                              Footer Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X