X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gary Devine
    replied
    Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
    The main reason I am a trophy hunter for black bear is because I have harvest four black bears already. Two in Canada, one in Maine and one in New Jersey. I have two half mounts and two bear rugs.
    My largest black bear was 250 pounds Field dressed. I no longer want average size Black Bears.
    I am seeking a Big Bear approximately 400 pounds on up.

Now, My older brother shoots the first bear he sees. He has harvest four bears in his life time also. Most of his Bears were yearling Cubs (22 months old) shot on opening day. I have asked him, "Bill, why not let the small Bears eat at your bait pile and a bigger bear will come in because it's safe with other Bears in the area?" He always has an excuse. "I though the bear was bigger" or "the bear was limping so I did a mercy killing."
    I gave up on Brother Bill, he can shoot all the Small fry bears he wants. It's legal in NJ to shoot a first year cub the size of a gym bag. Thank God, Brother Bill didn't swoop to that level.

The bad thing about being a trophy hunter you do get skunk a lot. JMO
    99, good point, do you want his phone number. He will not listen to me. ?? ?
    He is the total opposite of me, when it comes to bear hunting.
    I see an anti hunting troll mouse crawled into our OL nest, with dings for everybody.?
    The coward has nothing to say in writing.

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
    The main reason I am a trophy hunter for black bear is because I have harvest four black bears already. Two in Canada, one in Maine and one in New Jersey. I have two half mounts and two bear rugs.
    My largest black bear was 250 pounds Field dressed. I no longer want average size Black Bears.

Now, My older brother shoots the first bear he sees. He has harvest four bears in his life time also. Most of his Bears were yearling Cubs (22 months old) shot on opening day. I have asked him, "Bill, why not let the small Bears eat at your bait pile and a bigger bear will come in because it's safe with other Bears in the area?" He always has an excuse. "I though the bear was bigger" or "the bear was limping so I did a mercy killing."
    I gave up on Brother Bill, he can shoot all the Small fry bears he wants. It's legal in NJ to shoot a first year cub the size of a gym bag. Thank God, Brother Bill didn't swoop to that level.

One of the down sides of shooting the first animal you see is that it usually ends the hunting season for you.
    I once hunted with a young lad who took a small buck on opening day, and he spent the rest of the season playing dog for me.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    Originally posted by 6phunter View Post
    It started 1961 ,my father and his brother brought home two nice bucks.I was 8 years old and mesmerized by the antlers,I quietly vowed to myself, one day I too would hunt and take a deer like these..Nearly sixty years I remember some hunts vividly,some are forgotten.The racks each have their own stories,and the mounts that fill some rooms give way to nostalgia,lost hunting partners,young smiling faces,brutal cold days.It,s a reason to make my hunts longer stays in the wood,just listening ,watching,smelling and some years the feeling of excitement that an 8 year old boy felt long ago .
    6PH, Very good point. All my bruiser mounts bring back great memories.

Leave a comment:

• Happy Myles
    replied
    Originally posted by 6phunter View Post
    It started 1961 ,my father and his brother brought home two nice bucks.I was 8 years old and mesmerized by the antlers,I quietly vowed to myself, one day I too would hunt and take a deer like these..Nearly sixty years I remember some hunts vividly,some are forgotten.The racks each have their own stories,and the mounts that fill some rooms give way to nostalgia,lost hunting partners,young smiling faces,brutal cold days.It,s a reason to make my hunts longer stays in the wood,just listening ,watching,smelling and some years the feeling of excitement that an 8 year old boy felt long ago .
    Can’t be explained better than that. Challenge, excitement, adventure in new places. Thank you

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Treestand
    replied
    In Truth,Your no Different then any other young boy growing up in "Rural America"! I grew up as a Farm boy too! In a family of hunters with woman that could cook(good) all types of wild game;-))

Leave a comment:

• 6phunter
    replied

Leave a comment:

• 6phunter
    started a topic Why am I a trophy hunter.?

Why am I a trophy hunter.?

More to the hunt than just a kill

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X