No announcement yet.

Why am I a trophy hunter.?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It used to be about antler now not so much. My dad wasn't around to take me hunting. I took interest on my own. I've only had on good hunting buddy and that was while I was in the military. My neighbor that passed would have gone afield with me if he had been able. The doe i took with his old muzzleloader this year meant the world to me. Now that I have grandsons that I hope catch the bug it's not about antlers it's about memories and passing on what I know. It a weird position to be in trying to teach your dad about hunting.

Comment

My apologies for my earlier post I was about half asleep. The part that is missing is that my dad is making an effort to hunt with me every year now for at least a weekend. It's a weird position for me to be the teacher in that situation but it also rewarding. I figure it's good training for my patience for my grandsons. Trophy hunting it's cool and all but I just don't have patience for it or the time. And I don't want unreasonable standards to ruin any of my hunting. And I've also learned in life to be satisfied and great full for the blessings you receive. I also live by the rule don't pass on opening day what you would shoot on the last day.

Comment

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
        My apologies for my earlier post I was about half asleep. The part that is missing is that my dad is making an effort to hunt with me every year now for at least a weekend. It's a weird position for me to be the teacher in that situation but it also rewarding. I figure it's good training for my patience for my grandsons. Trophy hunting it's cool and all but I just don't have patience for it or the time. And I don't want unreasonable standards to ruin any of my hunting. And I've also learned in life to be satisfied and great full for the blessings you receive. I also live by the rule don't pass on opening day what you would shoot on the last day.
        Well put Milldawg. I'm waiting on the great grandchildren to get old enough to teach. None of the older ones seem interested in hunting. I guess they don't realize how much I'd give to be able to teach them -firearms, stands, backpacks, and other equipment I no longer use. All they would need to purchase would be clothing and a license.

Comment

Originally posted by country road View Post
          Just being out there and being a part of the natural world a huge part of it. Just this evening, not 30 minutes ago, I had a small six point and a fairly good eight point on my food plot. I let them go because I have young nephews coming to hunt with me later in the season and they will get a lot more out of killing them than I will. Unless a buck is a real Joe Darter, I'll let him go and stock my freezer with doe meat. I just feel blessed to be out there breathing the same air as these beautiful animals---and eating them for supper.
          I hunted both nephews year before,one connected,last year the other one scored, they field dressed themselves ,I gave some pointers, first year it was warm ,so directly processors,last year we skinned and boned out the deer, they were on their own this year and wanted to try processing,try dry jerky,tan some hides , lol now I,m a hero

Comment

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
            It's not for everybody,As long as you enjoy your hunts is what counts, I sure wish my old man and brother were still around,you don,t know what you have till its gone. Give the old man a hug for me.

Comment

I like the term that Jim Shockey uses, and that is briefly mentioned in this months OL magazine. "Selective" hunting. You can still be a meat hunter but only choose to shoot mature bucks.

Personally I've never been much of a trophy hunter, not that I don't enjoy shooting big bucks, but I usually take the first thing that gives me a clear shot, which is often a doe.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                I keep a hunting log. In years past it was in a bound book but these days it's electronic. My photos and stories recording my hunts are my trophies. I'm more interested in the experience rather in keeping antlers. Last year's big buck's are still hanging on a tree in the back yard, forgotten most of the time.

Today I let a young buck walk and later killed a pig. I really enjoy killing swine. It's not about the meat, trophy, photos, or bragging. It's simply the thrill of the kill.
                Hunting is more than just killing game, though the taking of the target species is the culmination of a lot of hard work and planning.
                To me, the processing is as important as the shot. Processing is hard work and takes lot's of planning.
                Same with preparing the long awaited meal. Hard work and planning.
                To me, the "reward" is the "satisfaction" of completing the above tasks.
                The sight of those neatly wrapped and labelled packages in the freezer is almost as good as the meal! LOL!

Comment

Trophy Hunting is good for species. So much is misunderstood about our sport and wildlife biology.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget