Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

308 featherweight - nephews break the curse! This hunting season fulfilling your expectations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 308 featherweight - nephews break the curse! This hunting season fulfilling your expectations?

Nephews assumed they had to work opening day, Saturday the 11th, but Veterans Day found them off, paid at that. Took one with me in the morning. Let him use the 308, I carried my Roberts. Doe came in from my side so I whispered " You see that pine and the brush pile beside it?" My nephew whispered a little loudly "It's a deer". "No". I said. "It's your deer" and it was. That noon my brother and his boy stopped in and said things were slow. I said I would take his boy with me as deer were coming thru pretty good. "We're sharing a gun" he said. Handed him the 308 and said let's go. A hour later one was walking our way so he got the green light. My and my brothers stories later.
    Attached Files

Mr. D, it looks like tender venison.
    Tell both Mr. Nephews, I said great shot placement and Congrats. ?

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
      Mr. D, it looks like tender venison.
      Tell both Mr. Nephews, I said great shot placement and Congrats. ?
      Both have been working and living on their own since 19 so hunting or fishing time is a limited commodity for them. The responsibility of work comes first. Those smiles are the genuine deal.

Comment

Congratulations to the nephews. As for the question, I haven't been out enough yet to judge; opening day was Saturday and I had one nasty chest-cold all through the weekend, which was fairly miserable weather-wise anyway. Got out Monday morning and saw plenty of does; I've got two doe permits but never did have one in surefire range. So far, though, only one buck has been taken up on our hill, and with the unpleasant weather, hunting pressure has been pretty light (I got all the reports on the phone Saturday night of what brothers/cousins were out, and what they saw, etc. -- during deer season, we're like teenaged girls with the phone calls). Best news, though -- and a coincidence, I suppose -- is that one of my nephews rejoined the hunting crew after dropping out for a few years. No explanation, and none needed; he just went and bought his license this year and showed up in the woods.

Comment

Congrats,Congrats....Looks good, Back strap for breakfast & tenderloin for Dinner.....Now that's a hard Act to fellow.........;-))

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
            Congratulations to the nephews. As for the question, I haven't been out enough yet to judge; opening day was Saturday and I had one nasty chest-cold all through the weekend, which was fairly miserable weather-wise anyway. Got out Monday morning and saw plenty of does; I've got two doe permits but never did have one in surefire range. So far, though, only one buck has been taken up on our hill, and with the unpleasant weather, hunting pressure has been pretty light (I got all the reports on the phone Saturday night of what brothers/cousins were out, and what they saw, etc. -- during deer season, we're like teenaged girls with the phone calls). Best news, though -- and a coincidence, I suppose -- is that one of my nephews rejoined the hunting crew after dropping out for a few years. No explanation, and none needed; he just went and bought his license this year and showed up in the woods.
            Having good people coming along after us is very important. Good to hear your nephew is back in the fold. You hunting Michigan by chance? I was going up this year but relatives said the weather outlook was horrible and turned out even worse than predicted. They hunted thickets that were logged over 2 yrs ago so expectations were high. Only 1 buck taken first 4 days. A cold, wet mess.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
              Nope, we're in Central New York. I don't know about that particular storm system, but often we get whatever the upper Midwest gets, about two days later. Sometimes with a little extra bonus of nasty picked up as it goes over the lakes.

Comment

Sharing the outdoors with others is an awesome experience!
                Congrats on the meat and the share!

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                  Sharing the outdoors with others is an awesome experience!
                  Congrats on the meat and the share!
                  Thanks. Those genuine smiles on the nephews faces was worth the effort.

Comment

Congratulations that's awesome. I am envious. My circle in the family that hunts is very small and very young to hunt right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
                      Congratulations that's awesome. I am envious. My circle in the family that hunts is very small and very young to hunt right now.
                      Patience my friend. They will grow up more than fast enough. Gives you time to have everything in place so you can maximize the time when it arrives.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X