Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Atv,s have changed how I hunt along with age,how close do you get where park from where you hunt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gary Devine
    replied
    Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
    I have a couple places I drive my ATV right up to. Cover the front, side and back with camo and take a seat on the side of the ATV with my gun across the seat. Does not seem to bother the deer at all.
    I can't use a four wheeler, either unless law enforcement gives me the OK to take out a bruiser black bear.

Leave a comment:

• fitch270
    replied
    Depends on who I'm hunting with. The boy and I walk up the hill, but my cousin and my F-I-L aren't in the best of shape. When they're down we tend to take the truck, but I just bought a UTV this year so that will probably get used to drop them off on stand.

Leave a comment:

• Milldawg
    replied
    1/4 mile to the stand. Only use four wheel to haul corn and deer. I could ride mine anywhere I want where i hunt but I don't. I use it for hauling because I have a bad knee. And I need my knees for work.

Leave a comment:

• PigHunter
    replied
    I have a couple places I drive my ATV right up to. Cover the front, side and back with camo and take a seat on the side of the ATV with my gun across the seat. Does not seem to bother the deer at all.
    LOL! Can't use motorized vehicles where I hunt.

Leave a comment:

• Red Angus
    replied
    Depending on the property I'm hunting, I'll either get far enough away from the road that my 4-wheeler is out of sight and then walk from there or drive on in and park within a couple hundred yards of where I'm hunting. I have hunted off the 4wheeler as jhjimbo does, but rarely do so as many of my preferred hunting sites don't work well for such a method.

As a side note, in my county it is rare to get more than ½ mile from a maintained road and 40-160 acre parcels are the norm.

Leave a comment:

• Pray- hunt-work
    replied
    Most of my stands are within a couple hundred yards of old tote roads. I always walk in but the walking distance depends on the wind and which stand I select.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    Jimbo, the woods looks thick. Did you blasé out shooting lanes?
    Maybe we should look for a sale on a four wheeler for brother Pig Hunter?
    He could take in a cot and a sleeping bag for an afternoon nap after lunch. ?

Leave a comment:

• Treestand
    replied
    Doc, You are one together old man hunter, That looks like up state NY. I don't miss the snow,but thanks;-))

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    I am on a little 10' high hill and off to the left is actually where I get the deer. At the bottom there is a small spring where I keep a mineral block, then a grassy area for about 80yds. That is where the deer come from and then 10yds from me make a turn to go around a beaver pond and go out of sight. So, I have a lot of 20 to 30yd shot opportunities.

Leave a comment:

• Treestand
    replied
    A while back ,I planted some Egyptian wheat it grows to 10' I drive my ATV in to it, and walk to my stand about 30yd. check it out on YouTube Egyptian Wheat as a cover.

Leave a comment:

• country road
    replied
    Since I hunt private land, I can drive my golf cart to within a couple of hundred yards of my chosen stand. On some stands, due to terrain, I can get a good deal closer than that without fear of spooking game. I always park and approach from downwind.

Leave a comment:

• PigHunter
    replied
    How far can you shoot in that spot? Looks a lot like where I hunt except without the snow.

Leave a comment:

• PigHunter
    replied
    I like it! Great way to use the ATV

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    I haven't fire up an ATV in a couple of years now...welk, NOT to hunt anyway.
    I can park within a quarter mile of any of my stands.
    A quarter in and a quarter out and I get my half mile walk in on hunting days! LOL!
    Yeah. Age, a metallic hip, crushed heel and a half dozen other old breaks and walking hurts, but a quarter mile stroll through the woods makes me feel better! LOL!

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X