Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are You A Hunter/Tracker OR A Tree Stand Sniper And Some Time Tracker??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
    My tactics vary of course based on weather, terrain, time of the season, etc. Haven't climbed a tree in four years.

I've hunted my favorite public land enough to know parts of it really well. Wind from the north? - I'll take a southern approach to that old beaver dam a mile from the logging road gate. Wind from the south? - Then I'll park along the dirt road 1/2 mile north of the food plot and approach with the wind in my face. PigHuntress with me? - Then it's easier paths and shorter walks with popup blind connected to my pack (she can't seem to sit still, always fretting with her hair, etc.)

My most successful tactic is to know where there's a good chance of seeing deer from past scouting / experience. The spot is usually one of the waypoints on my wrist-mounted GPS. I'll park well before sunrise and walk 1/3 to 1 mile in, with a favorable wind blowing my scent behind me. In my backpack is everything I need for the day: fold-out stool, padded seat, warmer clothes, blind material or tarp, etc. Sometimes I'll set up everything first, then sit and wait for sunrise - hoping to ambush a deer or pig heading to bedding areas. Other times, I'll minimize noise by just standing still, leaning against a tree and wait for light. Killed many deer and pigs that way. Sometimes I use a game cart to haul my stuff most of the way for the longer walks along logging roads.

Another successful tactic, especially with pigs, is to slowly stalk hunt through valleys with the wind in my face. If I get tired, then the stool and padded seat are used. Once rested, watered, and fed - I'm back to stalking. Some of my biggest bucks have been taken between 10 and noon that way.

Layering clothing is important for me and thus I carry a large pack. Minimum clothes for walking, maximum for sitting still. It's very difficult to remain still if I'm uncomfortable.
    You can also build a wooden enclosed blind like Brother Bubba did.
    Big game animals get use to Bubba's blind being part of the landscape day and night.
    It's another idea. ??

Comment

My tactics vary of course based on weather, terrain, time of the season, etc. Haven't climbed a tree in four years.

I've hunted my favorite public land enough to know parts of it really well. Wind from the north? - I'll take a southern approach to that old beaver dam a mile from the logging road gate. Wind from the south? - Then I'll park along the dirt road 1/2 mile north of the food plot and approach with the wind in my face. PigHuntress with me? - Then it's easier paths and shorter walks with popup blind connected to my pack (she can't seem to sit still, always fretting with her hair, etc.)

My most successful tactic is to know where there's a good chance of seeing deer from past scouting / experience. The spot is usually one of the waypoints on my wrist-mounted GPS. I'll park well before sunrise and walk 1/3 to 1 mile in, with a favorable wind blowing my scent behind me. In my backpack is everything I need for the day: fold-out stool, padded seat, warmer clothes, blind material or tarp, etc. Sometimes I'll set up everything first, then sit and wait for sunrise - hoping to ambush a deer or pig heading to bedding areas. Other times, I'll minimize noise by just standing still, leaning against a tree and wait for light. Killed many deer and pigs that way. Sometimes I use a game cart to haul my stuff most of the way for the longer walks along logging roads.

Another successful tactic, especially with pigs, is to slowly stalk hunt through valleys with the wind in my face. If I get tired, then the stool and padded seat are used. Once rested, watered, and fed - I'm back to stalking. Some of my biggest bucks have been taken between 10 and noon that way.

Layering clothing is important for me and thus I carry a large pack. Minimum clothes for walking, maximum for sitting still. It's very difficult to remain still if I'm uncomfortable.
      Thanks TMike and Treestand. I had a longer response yesterday but for some reason it didn't post.

Comment

Gary, I've hunted from climbers on public land with so-so results on deer and dismal results on pigs. The pigs have a large range and clear out if they sense you've recently been in the area. It's better to cover a lot of ground when after them since baiting is not allowed. Also, a semi-permanent stand lets other hunters know where you like to hunt. They will beat you to it, killing or scaring off the game. It's better to leave very little sign that you've passed through an area.

Comment

Knowing bedding areas is very important...
          Attached Files

Comment

If pigs will clear out if they sense you in the area isn't it better to be elevated? I never baited wild hogs. I hunted above a corn field.
            If bears can't smell me in my lock on tree stand, then hogs will not smell you.
            Ground blinds I never saw a bear.
            Hunters know many tree stand or wooden blind locations. I had a lock on my blind door. Bubba is doing great with hogs out of a wooden blind. They have not moved out.
            I didn't think Bama was that populated with hunters on public land.
            No disrespect but it sounds like New Jersey. You should move. LMAO
            Just Joking PH

Comment

LOL! Different tactics for different areas. I've hunted the same land for 20 years and like to have mobility. Sitting in one spot all day drives me nuts! Bears must have a habit of circling around before approaching bait. I'm not hunting over bait and as long as the wind is favorable it doesn't matter how high or low I am, the deer and pigs won't smell me.

Comment

Knowing bedding areas is very important...
                A Good hunting Comic.

Comment

Generally I hunt from stands early and late in the day,from mid morning to mid afternoon I still hunt often stopping at favorable sites,one of my 6 p,s is to be pliable, change techniques whenever the fancy suits you.Yesterdays hunt confirmed this tactic,result was a heavy 12pt. taken after 11 a.m.

Comment

Generally I hunt from stands early and late in the day,from mid morning to mid afternoon I still hunt often stopping at favorable sites,one of my 6 p,s is to be pliable, change techniques whenever the fancy suits you.Yesterdays hunt confirmed this tactic,result was a heavy 12pt. taken after 11 a.m.

Comment

Originally posted by 6phunter View Post
                      Congrats on the big buck!

Comment

Originally posted by 6phunter View Post
                        Ty Ph, There is a one buck limit in K.y, So I,m tagged out on that,I e timehaven,t yet hunted a new property 380 acres, so ! Will hunt foral doe and do a little scouting at the Same time. I am always searching for new haunts,sometimes it helps when you lose a place.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget