Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are You A Hunter/Tracker OR A Tree Stand Sniper And Some Time Tracker??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are You A Hunter/Tracker OR A Tree Stand Sniper And Some Time Tracker??

Do You walk The Woods, Sit On a Rock/Stump in Hopes Of Ambushing Your Deer/Bear Or Tree Stand/Climber Only Or Ground Blind, What's Your Tactic??

My tactics vary of course based on weather, terrain, time of the season, etc. Haven't climbed a tree in four years.

I've hunted my favorite public land enough to know parts of it really well. Wind from the north? - I'll take a southern approach to that old beaver dam a mile from the logging road gate. Wind from the south? - Then I'll park along the dirt road 1/2 mile north of the food plot and approach with the wind in my face. PigHuntress with me? - Then it's easier paths and shorter walks with popup blind connected to my pack (she can't seem to sit still, always fretting with her hair, etc.)

My most successful tactic is to know where there's a good chance of seeing deer from past scouting / experience. The spot is usually one of the waypoints on my wrist-mounted GPS. I'll park well before sunrise and walk 1/3 to 1 mile in, with a favorable wind blowing my scent behind me. In my backpack is everything I need for the day: fold-out stool, padded seat, warmer clothes, blind material or tarp, etc. Sometimes I'll set up everything first, then sit and wait for sunrise - hoping to ambush a deer or pig heading to bedding areas. Other times, I'll minimize noise by just standing still, leaning against a tree and wait for light. Killed many deer and pigs that way. Sometimes I use a game cart to haul my stuff most of the way for the longer walks along logging roads.

Another successful tactic, especially with pigs, is to slowly stalk hunt through valleys with the wind in my face. If I get tired, then the stool and padded seat are used. Once rested, watered, and fed - I'm back to stalking. Some of my biggest bucks have been taken between 10 and noon that way.

Layering clothing is important for me and thus I carry a large pack. Minimum clothes for walking, maximum for sitting still. It's very difficult to remain still if I'm uncomfortable.
    Attached Files

Comment

It depends. When I hunt locally, it's most often archery tree stand hunting, but it's environmental. My area is fairly rural, but still just a stone's throw from the Philly suburbs and as such properties, even the public land and farms, that are big enough to hunt on the move are few and far between.
      When I get out to other parts of the state, particularly for rifle deer, I play it by ear.
      I'm not a purist or have a strong preference for either as hunting goes, but I enjoy going for a long slow walk more than I do sitting in a tree. The opportunities just aren't always there.

Comment

About the only tracking I do is when I'm blood trailing a wounded deer. I enjoy ladder stands much more then box blinds, but enjoy sitting on the ground during turkey hunting---I have a great back support vest from Cabela's.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
          My tactics vary of course based on weather, terrain, time of the season, etc. Haven't climbed a tree in four years.

I've hunted my favorite public land enough to know parts of it really well. Wind from the north? - I'll take a southern approach to that old beaver dam a mile from the logging road gate. Wind from the south? - Then I'll park along the dirt road 1/2 mile north of the food plot and approach with the wind in my face. PigHuntress with me? - Then it's easier paths and shorter walks with popup blind connected to my pack (she can't seem to sit still, always fretting with her hair, etc.)

My most successful tactic is to know where there's a good chance of seeing deer from past scouting / experience. The spot is usually one of the waypoints on my wrist-mounted GPS. I'll park well before sunrise and walk 1/3 to 1 mile in, with a favorable wind blowing my scent behind me. In my backpack is everything I need for the day: fold-out stool, padded seat, warmer clothes, blind material or tarp, etc. Sometimes I'll set up everything first, then sit and wait for sunrise - hoping to ambush a deer or pig heading to bedding areas. Other times, I'll minimize noise by just standing still, leaning against a tree and wait for light. Killed many deer and pigs that way. Sometimes I use a game cart to haul my stuff most of the way for the longer walks along logging roads.

Another successful tactic, especially with pigs, is to slowly stalk hunt through valleys with the wind in my face. If I get tired, then the stool and padded seat are used. Once rested, watered, and fed - I'm back to stalking. Some of my biggest bucks have been taken between 10 and noon that way.

Layering clothing is important for me and thus I carry a large pack. Minimum clothes for walking, maximum for sitting still. It's very difficult to remain still if I'm uncomfortable.
          Thank for sharing your great tactics with others and my self;-))

Comment

In Colorado I move, there's just too much to see to sit still. Here in Missouri and up in Michigan I sit because limited private property access, as well as the hunter numbers on public land, constricts my ability to move about.

Comment

I hunted black bear in a ground blind because my knee was killing me one year. I Never saw a bear all week.
              I hunt eighteen feet up in a lock-on tree stand and I see many Bears.
              It's manatory to get above a black bear's awesome nose and sense of smell.
              Bowhunting elk In Colorado I hunted in tree stands. Archery hunting black bear in Ontario, Maine and New Brunswick I was in tree stands.
              The only time I stalked whitetail Bucks was in Maine and upstate New York.
              Attached Files

Comment

My hunting is due to "restrictions".
                My main hunting area is 264 acres. There is no specific browse for turkey or deer, so I run corn feeders. There is water, but no bedding area or roost trees.
                Therefore, all the "traffic" I see is pass through. I DO have one fairly significant travel route, it's just not the favored one.
                Not a lot of room for spot and stalk. Best just to pick a spot and sit.
                I like pop ups because of their portability.
                I prefer my box blind for it's comfort factor because of all the old injuries.
                Because of all the old injuries, up in a tree just isn't an option for me...anymore! LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by country road View Post
                  About the only tracking I do is when I'm blood trailing a wounded deer. I enjoy ladder stands much more then box blinds, but enjoy sitting on the ground during turkey hunting---I have a great back support vest from Cabela's.
                  The ground is the only way to hunt Turkeys in my opinion. Much more challenging and very exciting. Of course I will take a Turkey with my bow in the fall if given the opportunity, but that is just a chance thing, not the objective.

Comment

Here is a man that has put in the needed effort to be successful on a consistent basis. A good lesson to new hunters lies in this reply! Be patient on well thought out.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
                      I hunted black bear in a ground blind because my knee was killing me one year. I Never saw a bear all week.
                      Bowhunting elk In Colorado I hunted in tree stands. Archery hunting black bear in Ontario, Maine and New Brunswick I was in tree stands.
                      Gary, there seems to be lots of smaller public hunting tracts in NJ and I bet some of those don't get much pressure. I suggest trying some stalk hunting for deer in those places. You may like the change of pace.

Comment

Originally posted by country road View Post
                        When I did want to put a wild bird on the table, I used a 22Magnun Scoped Rifle(Legal in Fl) from one of my stands turkeys would pass right under my stand to hit a crack corn feeder every day in deer season. When we have Thanksgiving at the Camp We buy (5) 16lb butterball's at walmart and deep fry all 5 birds with all the fixens for 20-25 members & family's ;-))

Comment

PH, This photo should be on the front Page of Field & Stream or OL, The right way to hunt state land.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
                            PH, New Jersey is pretty populated in the public woods. I go deep in the woods with a lunch and stay all day to get away from rat race. I see lots of Bears but no shooters. I push a nice buck I was tracking to another hunter in Maine. He dropped it. I felt shitty. Maine is wilderness and can you picture how many big game species I would push to their death in Jersey?
                            There is an old saying, "never mess with success". I need to lure a giant bear in during daylight hours. That's my problem.
                            I may try a honey burn suggested by Treestand this year.

Comment

PH, If you had a ladder stand or a lock-on stand all ready set up before the season, you wouldn't need to lug everything but the kitchen sink. Most stands have comfortable seats also.
                              Think about it. Your scent would elevated and hogs don't look up in trees for danger in the Bama woods.
                              Just trying to help you Brother.
                              JMHO and plus two.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget