Do you hunt in the rain ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
    I like to hunt from a pop-up blind, which is great if it starts to rain while I am in my stand, but even so, I don't go out if it's raining in the morning.
    99, there is nothing that will put me to sleep quicker than listening to rain patter on a tent, or in this case, a pop up blind. If I did hunt in the rain, the entire deer herd could walk in front of me and I would be sound asleep ! Am I alone in that situation, or does that also affect others ?

Comment

I like to hunt from a pop-up blind, which is great if it starts to rain while I am in my stand, but even so, I don't go out if it's raining in the morning.
      I believe that I would have all the windows zipped shut in heavy rain because there would be nothing to see moving outside. I would probably doze off waiting for the rain to let up.

Comment

I would probably have all the windows zipped shut in heavy rain because there would be nothing to see moving outside.
        And I might doze off waiting for the rain to let up.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
          Jimbo, get a Jumbo.

I set up a jumbo tree umbrella for an overhead roof for my tree stand.
          I only have 6 days in December to hunt black bears, so "neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom".
          Great invention. It would also provide shade on sunny days.

Comment

I don,t mind a lite drizzle,a steady rain drives me out of the woods ,sometimes I may sit in the truck if forecast calls for clearing. My first buck with a bow Was in the rain after I had fallen and cut my hand severely,never the less I re.climbed the tree ,wrapping my bow hand with my head net.My hunting bud was at the truck when I came in dragging the deer. Lol ,what a day,ever field dress a deer with one hand ? When I returned home my brother skinned him out ,while I went to the Doc for some stitches. Back in those days of my youth ,not much would stop me from the hunt.

Comment

I'll only hunt if the rain is light and I'm in a box blind. I've put in too many useless, wet hours to get excited about hunting in the rain. Don't get much chance to hunt in any kind of snow down here in the Deep South, and when we do get snow, it freaks the deer out---they don't know what it is and a heavier snow (3-4 inches) accumulates on the pine branches and snaps them off, keeping the deer in a constant state of high alert. I've seen deer run hither and yon, away from one breaking branch after the other. I will go out in the snow, simply because it's so unusual and so pretty (down here).

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
                I'll hunt in pouring down rain and blinding snow, but the second there is lighting I'm out of there. I'm lucky enough to hunt on private property with a working washer+dryer, so getting wet is no more than going back to the house for a snack while the clothes dry.
                I don't do lightning, either. Never been struck, but have had some bad experiences that make me real jumpy around lightning.

Comment

I will, do, and have hunted both. I enjoy the snow much more, despite my loathing of the cold. It makes it easier to track and see game, but even if I don't, the landscape is pretty enough. Generally if it's a hard rain I'll stay home, unless it's forecast to stop right before prime time. I've seen a lot of deer right after a big rain ends, including this evening. I've also seen a lot of deer during light drizzles, and it can be gold during turkey season as well.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                    I have hunted in the rain but of course don't prefer it. A poncho with water shedding wide-brimmed hat is adequate in light rain and I see the merits of just using a handgun for closer ranges. I've killed a couple of deer with a rifle while wearing military surplus ponchos. Just make sure you still have adequate orange showing. I have one orange boonie hat that's made with Gore-Tex to shed rain and have worn an orange vest over top of my camo poncho.

Sometimes I'll throw a camo tarp over a pop-up blind to keep the rain out and other times I'll just stretch the camo tarp over a more open blind area for ambush style of hunting. A camo military surplus poncho can work as a tarp too (see photo below).

Still hunting in the rain has the disadvantage of reduced visibility and hearing, everything is moving from being hit by raindrops. But the advantage is you can move with more stealth and less smell. I've had a doe walk 20 yards away during rain as I stood still in my poncho, muzzleloader held underneath. She never knew I was there.

Several years ago I was hunting in the rain, temps in the low 40's. It was cold but fortunately I was dressed for it. However, my buddy wasn't and after working a ridge we met at the bottom to discuss lunch plans. To my surprise, he was shivering and his lips had started turning blue. The cold was taking a toll on him even though his poncho kept him dry. I suggested we stop the hunt and walk out, going to a restaurant instead of having sandwiches in the woods. Fortunately he agreed and we ended the day with his safety (and dignity) intact. Lesson learned - you need to be careful hunting in rain, duh!

Another time, but warmer, I shot a nice 9-point buck about two miles from the vehicle. My buddy and I had a game cart and noticed the wind picking up and the weather getting nasty. Found out later a tornado had passed just 10 miles north of us while we were getting that deer out. Being killed by falling and flying trees is not part of my hunting plans.
                    Do hogs have good eyes? It Looks like your out in open for deer to lock on you? Maybe more ground cover around your blind would help?

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
                      I'll hunt in pouring down rain and blinding snow, but the second there is lighting I'm out of there. I'm lucky enough to hunt on private property with a working washer+dryer, so getting wet is no more than going back to the house for a snack while the clothes dry.
                      My 10 year old Nephew was out in a 12' row boat looking for frogs. Going along close to shore in a back bay he saw something in the water. He reached down for it and it was a 440v. electric line serving some camps. It blew him right out of the boat and he landed with his feet in the water. He could not let go of the wire. Finally he sensed it was pusling a little and when it eased up with all the strength he had he pulled away from the wire. They got him to the hospital and his EKG was all over the place. Took several years to get a semi normal EKG, although the Navy did accept him. Luck to be alive.

Comment

I have been using the one man chair blind. Very cenvenient with the blind
                        hooked right on to the chair - sit down and pull the blind right over you.
                        Good for rifle and pistol but not much room for archery - IMO.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget