Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All set? Two ladder stands,one climber,One ground hide,on three different properties,chasing has started in old kaintuck

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All set? Two ladder stands,one climber,One ground hide,on three different properties,chasing has started in old kaintuck

Preparations

I stop using a stand once I am carrying a rifle with me. But, yes, I am ready to go. Season opens on the 11th.

Comment

Our gun season doesn't open until the 18th. I still have one more ladder stand to put up, and that will give me five. I have seven box blinds all cleaned out and my tripod stand and pop up blinds are ready to go where they are most needed. Trails are mowed, raked and trimmed to facilitate getting to and from the stands. The weather has been great for my food plots and they will be at their peak in time for opening day. It's looking like a good season. We even have a good acorn crop.

Good hunting, 6P, looks like you'll be having rut action long before the rut starts down here in January.

Comment

Two feeders, one box blind, one "hide".
        All set.

Comment

Sounds great! I hunt public land and thus have no fixed stands in place. Best of luck to you 6P

Comment

Feeder up blind out. Food look ok considering it got 5" of rain the day after I planted and it flooded. And I have one hide spot in a creek bed I will try if I get the right wind.

Comment

Gun season opens the 18th for me. I don't use a fixed stand or blind, just sit in various spots that provide a bit of natural cover. Most of my preparation involves my recent decision to bone my deer out in the woods and pack the meat up to the car -- rather than dragging it out, driving to my brother's place to hang it up (I live in an apartment house and don't have a garage or a tree), then doing the work there. Main thing, though, is avoiding the drag; it's a long ways uphill, fairly steep in places, and after twenty-odd years, I'm just tired of the whole thing. We've talked about buying a game cart but haven't gotten around to it. Anyway, even a most careful job of boning the deer out in the woods will take me a lot less time and save a fair amount of hassle (including my sister-in-law's disapproving remarks). When I get it home, I can just load it all into the fridge and butcher at my leisure. So, I'm just deciding which big backpack to use, shopping for game bags, making sure I've got stuff I'll need if I'm working after dark. I also need to call my local warden and ask him just how I should go about making sure it's all done legally -- obviously I'll fill out my tag, but with several packs of meat, what should I attach the tag to, should I label the individual meat-bags, etc. Some of that is spelled out in the regulations guide but it mostly seems to be written for transporting venison that's already butchered and wrapped. Doing a backcountry pack-out is definitely not standard practice in the semi-wilds of Central New York.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget