Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the top rated Guide or light weight rifles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the top rated Guide or light weight rifles?

Looking for a deer rifle that not to heavy! I'm getting older and want less weight! I shoot a 7MM STW in a Remington 700 Sendero w/ 4 x 16 scope

GCAT, welcome to Outdoor Life.
    Most of my rifles are larger calibers for big game hunting.

Comment

I recently purchased a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor that is now my most accurate firearm. Without scope, it weighs just 6.6 pounds. The .308 version is just 6.2 pounds. Put a fixed 4x33 Leupold scope on one of those and you will just add a little under another pound counting rings and bases.

Comment

I have a Remington 270 with the synthetic "woodtech" stock and it's the lightest rifle I own (without the scope) barely edging out my Marlin 30-30. Some of the cheap rifles I've owned were also very light like the Ruger American. Depending on what you like, the Winchester 70 Featherweight or Remington 7 LS would be my choice for a lightweight bolt action.

Comment

Get a good used Winchester model '94 in 30-30. Easy to carry all day long.
          Take off rear sight and add a Redfield peep sight that screws right on to the side of the action.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
            Take off rear sight and add a Redfield peep sight that screws right on to the side of the action.
            I can't disagree from a personal stance(I hunt with my model 94 every year), but if weight and age are a concern like Gcat mentioned, then something with a little more knock down power should be used. Rarely knock em down with my .30-30 even when the shot is correctly placed. On the other hand, my 7mm Mag will drop a deer in its tracks with pretty much any body shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Outlaw View Post
              I have a Remington 270 with the synthetic "woodtech" stock and it's the lightest rifle I own (without the scope) barely edging out my Marlin 30-30. Some of the cheap rifles I've owned were also very light like the Ruger American. Depending on what you like, the Winchester 70 Featherweight or Remington 7 LS would be my choice for a lightweight bolt action.
              The older Model 70s are some of my favorite looking guns. I own a super grade model, and it's near or at the top of my list look wise.

Comment

Look in to Remington mod-7 Compact 20" Bbl 5.5lb. I have one in 7mm-08 wt 18.5" Bbl + scope 6.5Lb. Comes in Calibers:223,243,260,6.5C-moor,7-08,308.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
                  Pig and Bubba, I Edit my comment for both of you. I hope you feel better. ??

Comment

Well Gary, I never saw the unedited version of your post but, thanks. By the way, you can have a large caliber in a light rifle - it will just beat you to death when you shoot it :-) My brother has a 6 pound 300 Win Mag that's nicknamed "The Beast".

Comment

Pig Hunter, if it was not you posting childish dings then my apologies brother.

Comment

I fell in love with the Ruger American Compact (Youth) rifle when I got one for my grandson. Now I have two---one for each of us. One in .243 and one in 7mm-08. Both are very accurate, lightweight and mechanically dependable. The smaller size is handier in a ladder stand or box blind and is easier to carry. Hope you find what you are looking for. Good hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                          I can't remember all the deer and bear I have shot with this rifle over the years with standard Remington Core-Lokt ammo. There was a time we tried some Winchester Silver tips but had problems with them so stopped using them.

Comment

LOL! No worries. So that's what it was about. Nope, didn't do it.

Comment

If you like bolt guns I like the Remington Mountain rifle in 7mm08 or the Winchester 70 Featherweight with the wood stock. Both are really light and functional .

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Strangers meet.
                                by 99explorer
                                A man is able to contact his long lost brother who he has never met.
                                They agree to meet in a crowded public place.
                                No identification markers...
                                08-16-2019, 11:03 PM
                              • OU football
                                by FirstBubba
                                Big G, thought you might like to know, I'm going to watch some OU football this fall.
                                The orthopaedic surgeon who rebuilt my hip is retired and...
                                08-16-2019, 10:35 PM
                              • True romance.
                                by 99explorer
                                A doctor and a bus driver are both in love with the same woman, a beautiful girl named Sarah.
                                The bus driver has to go on a long bus trip that will...
                                08-16-2019, 09:11 AM
                              • A question of standing.
                                by 99explorer
                                A man says to his father, "I'm standing behind you."
                                The father replies, "And I am standing behind you, son."
                                Could this...
                                08-15-2019, 01:59 PM
                              • Cashier problem.
                                by 99explorer
                                You are a cashier and owe a customer $41 change from a $50 bill.
                                You have every denomination of paper currency in the drawer except $1 bills, and...
                                08-14-2019, 03:39 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X