Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the longest you've kept game meat in the freezer ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just last week I found a pound of ground deer that had been hidden in the bottom of the freezer for two years. It made one of the best meat loafs I've had in a while. It was stored in one of those tube thingies that you use with your grinder. This time of year is when I try to use up any venison left over from last season in preparation for the coming season.

I use a vacuum sealer for all other cuts and have no trouble unless a package gets punctured from me rummaging around in the freezer.

Comment

Originally posted by country road View Post
      Just last week I found a pound of ground deer that had been hidden in the bottom of the freezer for two years. It made one of the best meat loafs I've had in a while. It was stored in one of those tube thingies that you use with your grinder. This time of year is when I try to use up any venison left over from last season in preparation for the coming season.

I use a vacuum sealer for all other cuts and have no trouble unless a package gets punctured from me rummaging around in the freezer.
      Nice to find some you didn't know you had! I've been known to deliberately bury a package of venison in hopes of forgetting it -- just in an effort to not go through it so fast -- but it never works.

Comment

I've kept venison for 1yr (longest it ever lasts in my house). The guy that processed that deer for me is a pro-butcher during his day job, and he does excellent work. I always prefer his cuts and prep.

He wrapped it up for me and I packed it in a freezer. I've thought about a vacuum sealer or a foil pouch. Either would be good.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X