Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My so has a 270 and he needs more ammo. I buy 270 ammo, but was tild can use 30.06 ammo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My so has a 270 and he needs more ammo. I buy 270 ammo, but was tild can use 30.06 ammo?

son went to a gun show and I guess someone told him that some guns you can use other ammo. he has a 270 and wants to shoot 30.06 ammo with it. I need to know if it's safe? I just always buy 270 but he needs more for youth hunting this weekend and a friend gave him some ammo.

Only shoot what is stamped on the barrel of the firearm - no substitutions.

Comment

Brenda Lynn Hanson welcome to Outdoor Life.
      Your instruction Manuel booklet will tell you never shoot any other round then the one your firearm calls for.
      It's possible but I would not do it.

Comment

Please never attempt to fire .30-06 ammo in a .270 rifle. It will cause excessive pressures and could result in injury or death! The cases are similar in size but the .270 bullet is 0.031 inches smaller in diameter. At first that may not seem like much but in the tight tolerances of a rifle barrel that makes a world of difference.

Comment

Only if you want to make a bomb.

Comment

Someone has been filling his head with nonsense. Using ammo not intended for the chamber is dangerous. Don't they still teach that in Hunter's Safety Classes?

Someone is probably very confused about forming .270 brass from .30-06 brass. They're not the same, it's not the finished ammo!!

While it is true that a .270 Winchester case can be formed from a .30-06 Springfield case, the case length of a .30-06 is 2.494in while the case length of a .270 is 2.540in.

Some guns can chamber rounds that are technically different (e.g a .38spc and .357mag), but this isn't one of them. This has dangerous and misinformed written all over it.

Comment

Yikes...either a fool or a con-man that told you that.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                You got it Old Man!!

Comment

Ms. Brenda, thanks for questioning the judgement around firearms. Firearms can be completely safe in the hands of the competent but very dangerous in the hands of the ill advised. The barrel of every legitimate firearm will state the caliber (rifle) or gauge (shotgun) that should be used. These are not recommendations they are the only safe option. There are very few interchangeable cartridges and we shouldn't get into them and add confusion. For now, your son should stick to only the caliber/gauges specs. I also very much so recommend that you and your son take a firearms training course to gain knowledge. Even trusting the prowess of the people here on these forums can be dangerous. Guns aren't toys and the consequences of misinformation or poor judgment can be deadly. However there's no need of that. With proper training and copious amounts of respect firearms can be completely safe and a passionate hobby. I hope your son safely enjoys them for years. Best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Pray- hunt-work View Post
                    Ms. Brenda, thanks for questioning the judgement around firearms. Firearms can be completely safe in the hands of the competent but very dangerous in the hands of the ill advised. The barrel of every legitimate firearm will state the caliber (rifle) or gauge (shotgun) that should be used. These are not recommendations they are the only safe option. There are very few interchangeable cartridges and we shouldn't get into them and add confusion. For now, your son should stick to only the caliber/gauges specs. I also very much so recommend that you and your son take a firearms training course to gain knowledge. Even trusting the prowess of the people here on these forums can be dangerous. Guns aren't toys and the consequences of misinformation or poor judgment can be deadly. However there's no need of that. With proper training and copious amounts of respect firearms can be completely safe and a passionate hobby. I hope your son safely enjoys them for years. Best of luck.
                    Great caring answer , excellent advice with affability.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post
                      Someone has been filling his head with nonsense. Using ammo not intended for the chamber is dangerous. Don't they still teach that in Hunter's Safety Classes?

Someone is probably very confused about forming .270 brass from .30-06 brass. They're not the same, it's not the finished ammo!!

While it is true that a .270 Winchester case can be formed from a .30-06 Springfield case, the case length of a .30-06 is 2.494in while the case length of a .270 is 2.540in.

Some guns can chamber rounds that are technically different (e.g a .38spc and .357mag), but this isn't one of them. This has dangerous and misinformed written all over it.
                      Good answer and good easy to understand information.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                        Please never attempt to fire .30-06 ammo in a .270 rifle. It will cause excessive pressures and could result in injury or death! The cases are similar in size but the .270 bullet is 0.031 inches smaller in diameter. At first that may not seem like much but in the tight tolerances of a rifle barrel that makes a world of difference.
                        Nice job PH

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                          To the point!

Comment

Excellently well stated.

Comment

Best Answer So Fare!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget