Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could a mother deer smell human scent on its fawn?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could a mother deer smell human scent on its fawn?

A few years ago, I was cutting down a small dead tree, and noticed a fawn sitting just a few feet away. I walked over to see it, and I couldn't help but pet it. This makes me wonder, might a doe abandon her fawn if it were to smell human scent on it?

I believe it can happen but I'm not sure if that's normal or not. I know my buddy had an abandoned fawn in his yard a few years ago and the DNR told him not to touch it

Comment

If deer can smell human scent in the air, and at some distances, I would have to think that it would be of no problem to smell scent directly applied to one of it’s fawns. Animals do not have the ability to reason things out, and thus their natural instinct of protection of offspring would in this case prevail and she would not abandon her fawn !

Comment

I believe I once read that a mom will avoid her fawn for up to a full day if she senses danger, but they would rarely "abandon" a fawn. I think the leading cause of abandoned fawns is car crashes. They aren't going to abandon a fawn if the deer has human scent on it.

Comment

Not being any kind of expert, this is what I've "heard".

Never "touch" a fawn or any other "nature baby".
          It isn't so much about leaving your scent, it's more about the young "attach" to mom. If they are extremely young (a day or two old) and hungry, their hunger may drive them to attach to "touch", hoping it's mom and food.

I've tried getting my hands on a week old fawn.
          Wasn't happening!

Comment

Sure she could smell it,how she reacts is anybody's guess

Comment

I heard a guy picked one up that was stuck crossing a paved road. Doe was on the shoulder watching. He took it to the shoulder and they both disappeared.

Comment

This was a Question asked on Deer&DeerHunter a wile back, The Answer from the DNR was NO, They handle fawns all the time with no trauma.

Comment

I bet a bear could with their nose.
                  It don't bother Bears. The Game Dept. has tracking collars on some of the sows. When the Bears are hibernating they dart the mother, then start weighting and taking samples of the little Cubs, during February and March. I bet when she wakes up she smells human scent.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                    Not being any kind of expert, this is what I've "heard".

Never "touch" a fawn or any other "nature baby".
                    It isn't so much about leaving your scent, it's more about the young "attach" to mom. If they are extremely young (a day or two old) and hungry, their hunger may drive them to attach to "touch", hoping it's mom and food.

I've tried getting my hands on a week old fawn.
                    Wasn't happening!
                    I've kicked them up at handfighting range accidentally a few times. I suspect they'd be harder to grab than a feral chicken.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget