Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you ever wish for another chance at a big buck that somehow got away?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6phunter
    replied
    Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post
    Yes and No. Mostly I beat myself up for the mistakes I made or for the decisions. Wishing for another chance is largely pointless. Not learning from your past mistakes will cost you future opportunities.
    That's straight talk,great answer

Leave a comment:

• Buckshott00
    replied
    Yes and No. Mostly I beat myself up for the mistakes I made or for the decisions. Wishing for another chance is largely pointless. Not learning from your past mistakes will cost you future opportunities.

Leave a comment:

• Treestand
    replied
    If the Big Buck dose not give me a good shot, I'll just wait it out for him or some other buck! Ya can't eat the horns and horn soup sucks!!

Leave a comment:

• bowhunter75richard
    replied
    In my many years of bowhunting, I have had 4 occasions where I had a buck that would score over 170 typical in front of me !! I never even got a shot at any of them and they were all within 25 yards. Don't ever tell me bucks of that calibre don't cause stupidity to take over your senses. They all haunted me for several years, but now I am just as happy that I did not kill even one of them. When the ego demand was finally gone, I felt better about not ending their lives. Sometimes the failures are more exciting to remember than the deaths. Without a doubt in my younger years I would have wished for a retrial, but certainly not now. Now I prefer to think of them in life and not in death !

Leave a comment:

• country road
    replied
    I vividly recall the warm, foggy evening watching a food plot when the wind couldn't make up its mind which way to blow. I was sitting there wondering why I had even bothered to come out to the stand---no way I was going to see anything under those miserable conditions. When he stepped into the plot 50 yards away, the fog was so thick I really couldn't see his antlers, but the heavy, blocky body shape was unmistakable. I put the binoculars on him and thought, "My God, can his antlers really be that big?" He then looked straight at me and there was no doubt---he looked away and the rack looked even bigger. I let the binoculars drop against my chest and started up with the rifle and he turned and took three steps back into the thicket and I heard Mama Cass singing down in the hollow.
    I grunted, asked the hunting gods for special dispensation and used every ounce of mental projection I had, but he was gone. Never saw him again.

Ironically, we call that little food plot "Godzilla Plot" because it's so far back in the thick brush that only Godzilla would be brave enough to go there.

Leave a comment:

• country road
    replied
    Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
    For another chance at the same deer? Sure.

To wish the 'failed' hunt away? NO. Those experiences are all precious. I'd rather succeed, but the failures are where the experience and the learning is at.
    It seems that those times that I didn't get the "Big One" are more vivid in my memory than the ones I did kill, and some of them were very nice. This is especially true when it comes to turkey hunting---the times when the turkey beat me are the ones I remember the best (with a little smile).

Leave a comment:

• jcarlin
    replied

To wish the 'failed' hunt away? NO. Those experiences are all precious. I'd rather succeed, but the failures are where the experience and the learning is at.
    Thanks. I've been lurking. Finally hopped back into the place before Gary completely clogs it up with videos of kittens batting at windows with bear cubs on the other side.

Leave a comment:

• 6phunter
    replied

Ty, sir

Leave a comment:

• 6phunter
    replied
    By the time I was 19 years old I was a pretty good wing shot on flushing quail,and clay targets .I had taken some deer, my first at age 11. Anyway on this day my older brother and I were deer hunting with shotgun slugs,and we had split up as we entered that morning,he covered a little wood lot and I over looked a field some distance from him.A hard frost was on and the field sparkled with the sun rising,a blind man could have seen this buck as he ambled along the distant field edge.I watched him walk along and bed down in a little copse of sage grass,my mind was racing trying to think how I could get near him and those giant diamond like antlers.I sit there thinking when movement caught my eye,it was my brother on the same trail the buck had taken.I got his attention and signaled with spread fingers against my head .Long story short,we encircled that buck ,but we couldn't, see him ,even though it was an open field.We kicked the brush like you would a quail or sitting rabbit,still nothing. Just as I could see my brother relax and thoughts of being out maneuvers started to dawn on me,the huge buck exploded right in front of us before we could get off a shot he was gone. That was over 40 years ago,and yes I can still see him only only a few feet away.

Leave a comment:

• MattM37
    replied
    A little while ago, during a scent-control discussion, another user mentioned that not taking precautions could cost me the buck of a lifetime. A good point, to which I responded, that's the way the game is played, i.e. I'd rather be less encumbered with "stuff," rely on other things, take my chances, and accept the outcome. That's not everyone's take, I'm sure, and I get it, but it works for me. And all of that being said, the two times that I've had spooked bucks come back to me later that day, I was mighty glad to see it happening.

Leave a comment:

• MattM37
    replied

Welcome back.

Leave a comment:

• jcarlin
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Do you ever wish for another chance at a big buck that somehow got away?

Big bucks

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X