Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you do to pass the time in your stand ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PigHunter
    replied
    Originally posted by Mississippi Hippie View Post
    I can never seem to distract myself from my surroundings. Every now and then my wife will text and ask if I've seen anything (ha), but I like to listen to different sounds and determine the source, so I can differentiate. Most of the area I hunt has a good field of view, so I feel like I will miss an oncoming deer from farther away, which takes away from prep time and shot analysis. Not to mention, I like watching all the little critters move around, and listen to bird calls.
    Those are all valid points for not getting distracted via reading a book

Leave a comment:

• PigHunter
    replied
    Originally posted by country road View Post
    I always have something to read---paperback, Kindle, etc. I don't dare sit on a stand too long without some sort of input or THE VOICES will start arguing and using foul language, and that is too distracting.
    I've got an old kindle that could be taken, Much below freezing could kill one of them

Leave a comment:

• PigHunter
    replied
    Originally posted by JM1993 View Post
    Sometimes I read...sometimes I watch the squirrels chasing eachother(and sometimes wonder what the deer rifle would do to one, lol)...sometimes I fall asleep...sometimes I just stare at my phone. I couldn't listen to the radio or music like others have mentioned though. I can't have anything in my ears, or anything with volume on while hunting. I like to hear everything around me as clearly as possible.
    More and more I'm using my cell phone for entertainment

Leave a comment:

• PigHunter
    replied
    Originally posted by 6phunter View Post
    I also carry ear plug radio,listen to music,football games,I only use in one ear and learned through time I can differ the wood sounds.Sometimes I read a book,or text on a phone.The slow parts of midday hunting can change in an instant,so don,t forget why your there.'
    Great advice 6P

Leave a comment:

• Mississippi Hippie
    replied
    I can never seem to distract myself from my surroundings. Every now and then my wife will text and ask if I've seen anything (ha), but I like to listen to different sounds and determine the source, so I can differentiate. Most of the area I hunt has a good field of view, so I feel like I will miss an oncoming deer from farther away, which takes away from prep time and shot analysis. Not to mention, I like watching all the little critters move around, and listen to bird calls.

Leave a comment:

• Buckshott00
    replied
    I scan the area constantly. Sometimes with my eyes always with my ears. Sometimes I will doze a little bit. There's lots of thinking, praying, and meditation.

Leave a comment:

• Buckshott00
    replied
    I always have something to read---paperback, Kindle, etc. I don't dare sit on a stand too long without some sort of input or THE VOICES will start arguing and using foul language, and that is too distracting.
    I was always concerned about breaking my kindle in my pack, and not sure how it would handle the cold.

Leave a comment:

• JM1993
    replied
    Not sure if you saw, but the new Kindle is 100% waterproof. Debating picking one up for this upcoming hunting season.

Leave a comment:

• country road
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Red Angus
    replied
    Usually I just watch. And listen. And watch. And once in a while I'll read a book, but I mostly just watch. And listen.

@JM1993, I know from experience that a 55 grain hollow point (.223) just zips through a cottontail with no expansion (quite lethal, but nothing spectacular). Raccoons and opossums, on the other hand, are large enough the bullet(presumably) has time to expand and the results are often rather unpleasant to behold. A squirrel is similar in size to a wabbit so I'm not sure how much the results would vary.

Leave a comment:

• PigHunter
    replied
    I've tried a lot of distractions when hunting from a box blind on food plots. Heck, it's pretty boring waiting on the right deer to walk out and start eating. However, most of the time I'm hunting public land deer from the ground. I'm diligently watching and listening for game in those situations. It's time to go home if I can't concentrate on the hunt.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
    I have a radio AM/FM weather radio and ear bud that works well.
    IF they can, they probably come closer to see what it is as they are naturally curious.
    Gary, I have hunted for years with a guy who smokes on stand, has the smokers cough and is constantly moving around and he gets his deer about 80% of the time - while on the ground, standing by a tree.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
    I have a radio AM/FM weather radio and ear bud that works well.
    The deer heard the pin drop in that famous saying.
    I wonder if they can hear Jimbo's ear plug playing? :-))

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    Noon time in my tree stand after lunch, I look at my iphone and read OL and F&S comments.
    I broke out laughing went Red Angus told Honker that the 2nd amendment was not for goose hunting only.
    Plus One Jim for the Outdoor Life Posted Thread.

Leave a comment:

• JM1993
    replied
    Sometimes I read...sometimes I watch the squirrels chasing eachother(and sometimes wonder what the deer rifle would do to one, lol)...sometimes I fall asleep...sometimes I just stare at my phone. I couldn't listen to the radio or music like others have mentioned though. I can't have anything in my ears, or anything with volume on while hunting. I like to hear everything around me as clearly as possible.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget