Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody ever see a black doe? She showed up on the Southern Iowa corn feeder live cam.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody ever see a black doe? She showed up on the Southern Iowa corn feeder live cam.

I wonder what causes that? She may have some Mule deer genes in her?
    Attached Files

Another photo of Ms Black.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
      Another photo of Ms Black.
      Where is Bioguy when you need him? LOL

Comment

My vote goes for Mule deer.

Comment

Originally posted by rockhound View Post
          My vote goes for Mule deer.
          A lady on the a Iowa cam website said it's a winter coat? ??
          I never seen them that black in the winter.

Comment

Still has all the normal white spots, so I wouldn't think it has anything to do with melanin. I've seen some dark looking whitetails, but not like her. Definitely a good looking deer.

Comment

It looks to me She is in a Early Winter Coat color.

Comment

Originally posted by Treestand View Post
                Tree, I have seen many winter buckskins before, but this baby is black.

Comment

Originally posted by JM1993 View Post
                  Still has all the normal white spots, so I wouldn't think it has anything to do with melanin. I've seen some dark looking whitetails, but not like her. Definitely a good looking deer.
                  She looks the same color as a blackbuck doe in Africa.
                  Google it.

Comment

I forgot there are some non hunters on Southern Iowa Live feeder cam website.
                    One lady asked me what the G2's or a G3's were that I mentioned on a buck.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Both of them are good lookin deer.

Comment

Originally posted by Treestand View Post
                        Big>G NY deer & NJ deer are the same, that's the color i've only seen in NY/Mas Boarder deer, back in the 70s, We don't have a snow winter in Fl, Our deer turn a very dk/gray/dk~Brown just before the first frost.

Comment

I have seen quite a few deer with coloration that is that dark. Never considered it to be melanistic, which is a hundred times rarer than albinism.

Comment

I don't think that this deer is melanistic, but here are some melanistic, or at least very dark deer (and turkeys).
                            http://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/gallery/hunting/2010/09/texas-black-fawn
                            http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/newshound/2007/11/unusual-sighting-black-mule-deer
                            http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/big-buck-zone/2008/08/more-deer-turkey-oddities
                            http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/field-notes/2014/06/black-long-beard-rare-melanistic-turkey-taken-new-york#page-2
                            http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/field-notes/texas-teen-harvests-ultra-rare-all-black-whitetail

Comment

I have seen plenty of whitetail doe darker than that where I hunt. I think it's a genetic trait and the deer of that part of northern Michigan are like that because they blend in with that forest better.

It's worth noting that the last 2 years the weather turned EXACTLY halfway thru my hunts. Going from too warm to, frickin' cold overnight.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget