What do you look for?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
    With black Bears I look for tracks, scat and runs. I check for falling trees over streams to see if the Bears are using the easy bridge to cross. I look for broken saplings and claw marks on the trees. The beech trees have claw marks going upward to eat the beech nuts.
    The Big boars like to mark their territory. I have seen tree saplings broken down from five feet up.
    Yes trail cameras tell me if any four hundred pound Bears are feeding on my bait pile.
    Interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
      Since there's plenty of water in Alabama I never pay attention to where they drink but look at water as a barrier the deer need to either move around or cross. I've had good success hunting near creek crossings or low water crossing spots in swamps. Beaver dams provide opportunities because deer generally will not cross the pond but instead be funneled either below the dam or up stream before the water enters the pond.

Heavily used trails between food and bedding areas are other favorite spots for me. The nice 9-point whitetail I got last year was moving from a food plot to his bedding area. The game warden had posted the food plot as off limits to hunting so I was about 400 yards away near the bedding area before sunrise. The buck had no idea I had settled down along his path while he ate. I knew he was in the area a few weeks before by spotting a large rub while scouting / squirrel hunting. Pic attached.
      Pighunter, here in Michigan I have never encountered a "off limits" sign posted by a game warden, what's up with that ? We have of course "no hunting" areas but those include large tracts of land such as a state park or refuge area, but no food plots posted as "off limits". What reasons would they include ?

Comment

Since there's plenty of water in Alabama I never pay attention to where they drink but look at water as a barrier the deer need to either move around or cross. I've had good success hunting near creek crossings or low water crossing spots in swamps. Beaver dams provide opportunities because deer generally will not cross the pond but instead be funneled either below the dam or up stream before the water enters the pond.

Heavily used trails between food and bedding areas are other favorite spots for me. The nice 9-point whitetail I got last year was moving from a food plot to his bedding area. The game warden had posted the food plot as off limits to hunting so I was about 400 yards away near the bedding area before sunrise. The buck had no idea I had settled down along his path while he ate. I knew he was in the area a few weeks before by spotting a large rub while scouting / squirrel hunting. Pic attached.
        Richard, good question. For the last two seasons, that part of the Wildlife Management Area has been closed to hunting because of a Turkey habitat research project. At first it angered me because I've hunted there for 20 years. But then I realized that it presented a great opportunity. So I hiked in on the backside and scouted for trails going to and from the safety zone

Comment

When I hunted off the Old Mine Road at the Delaware Water Gap in Warren County, NJ, they had a refuge with posted No Hunting signs. We also waited in ambush for deer come out of the refuge bedding area.

Comment

Fresh sign for sure, but before that start with topo maps or google earth. Find funnels & pinch points.

Comment

I look for fresh sign, Droppings & Size, Scraps, Huff size, tells me who is who in my woods.

Comment

Originally posted by Treestand View Post
                I look for fresh sign, Droppings & Size, Scraps, Huff size, tells me who is who in my woods.
                Good to see you survived the storm. Dis you have any damage?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget