What do you look for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you look for?

When you're speed scouting (as in you can't hang cameras or spend long evenings glassing and such) what is your favorite thing to come across? Scrapes and rubs, heavily used trails, beds, food sources, water, etc? Can't hunt today so I'll be scouting for new spots, I personally like to find trails through a transition area

Since there's plenty of water in Alabama I never pay attention to where they drink but look at water as a barrier the deer need to either move around or cross. I've had good success hunting near creek crossings or low water crossing spots in swamps. Beaver dams provide opportunities because deer generally will not cross the pond but instead be funneled either below the dam or up stream before the water enters the pond.

Heavily used trails between food and bedding areas are other favorite spots for me. The nice 9-point whitetail I got last year was moving from a food plot to his bedding area. The game warden had posted the food plot as off limits to hunting so I was about 400 yards away near the bedding area before sunrise. The buck had no idea I had settled down along his path while he ate. I knew he was in the area a few weeks before by spotting a large rub while scouting / squirrel hunting. Pic attached.
    Attached Files

Comment

I don't know if this will make any sense to you, outlaw, but I fall back on "instinct".
      If I'm in unfamiliar or even familiar territory, I'm looking for scrapes, rubs, tracks, trails and other sign.
      The entire time, I try to allow my "gut" (instinct?) to, basically, react.
      If I suddenly get that little niggling feeling that "this is a good spot", I start looking for a "hide" location.
      Sometimes, it's hard because my conscious self is saying, "I don't see it!".

I used to get upset with my dad when we'd be easing through the woods and he'd say, "I think I'm gonna sit down right here and kill a deer.".
      More often than not, he did!
      I'd ask him, "How did you do that?", and he'd say, "It just felt right.".
      It was years after his passing that I finally learned to listen to my "gut" instinct.

I can't tell you how to turn it off or on.
      Sometimes it's very subtle.
      Sometimes it screams.
      The hardest part is recognizing it when your conscious mind keeps telling you, "NO!".

Hope I helped instead of confused.

Comment

For me, speed scouting is taking my time when I'm driving to/from fields and sometimes I'll just go for a drive in the evening and look for deer. I'm familiar enough with the land that once I know where the deer are feeding I pretty much know what trails their using to get there.
        If I get behind on scouting the property's I can't scout from the road I'll typically walk through and find active trails to/from food sources.

Comment

I'm with red angus on this one. Heavily used trails to and from food sources typically hold the does but when the bucks get crazy they will travel secluded trails to and from food sources seeking hot does.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
            I don't know if this will make any sense to you, outlaw, but I fall back on "instinct".
            If I'm in unfamiliar or even familiar territory, I'm looking for scrapes, rubs, tracks, trails and other sign.
            If I suddenly get that little niggling feeling that "this is a good spot", I start looking for a "hide" location.

I used to get upset with my dad when we'd be easing through the woods and he'd say, "I think I'm gonna sit down right here and kill a deer.".
            It was years after his passing that I finally learned to listen to my "gut" instinct.

Sometimes it screams.
            The hardest part is recognizing it when your conscious mind keeps telling you, "NO!".

Bubba I believe they also call that stopping to smell the roses!

Comment

Sometimes it screams.

Uh, um, okay. I guess.

Comment

I look for deer poop, big, fat, jucy turds.

Comment

The best, most reliable sign are fresh buck tracks. By fresh I mean the ones the buck is standing in

Comment

Sometimes it screams.

I mean by that, I've seen too many guys spot and stalk in such a hurry they act like they've got some place to be. Its amazing what you can see for sign when you slow down your pace and deliberately and genuinely look for it. When I was 16 I thought I knew where the deer would be so I hustled to get there also. Only to jump them 50 yards from the truck on my way back out. When I started to slow it down and realized it wasn't about getting to where I wanted the deer to be but payed attention to where they'd been the action really picked up!

Comment

Sometimes it screams.

Uummmm...... yes, and no.
                      Yes, it's almost like still hunting, but faster.
                      Kinda like a stroll through the woods, but slower.
                      Just kinda easing along, soaking up the "ambiance" so to speak.
                      Phw, I've headed to my hunting area at 5AM with a specific spot in mind.
                      The whole drive, another spot that makes no sense at all, keeps pushing into my subconcious.
                      It's really tough sometimes. It's like pushing common sense aside to follow a wild dream that makes absolutely no sense.
                      I've also been just walking along with no particular place in mind when that feeling hits.
                      ...and I've hunted several days in a row with no success and no little voice.
                      There is no rhyme or reason. You just hafta follow that feeling when it occurs.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                        The best, most reliable sign are fresh buck tracks. By fresh I mean the ones the buck is standing in
                        You beat me to it.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                          Since there's plenty of water in Alabama I never pay attention to where they drink but look at water as a barrier the deer need to either move around or cross. I've had good success hunting near creek crossings or low water crossing spots in swamps. Beaver dams provide opportunities because deer generally will not cross the pond but instead be funneled either below the dam or up stream before the water enters the pond.

Heavily used trails between food and bedding areas are other favorite spots for me. The nice 9-point whitetail I got last year was moving from a food plot to his bedding area. The game warden had posted the food plot as off limits to hunting so I was about 400 yards away near the bedding area before sunrise. The buck had no idea I had settled down along his path while he ate. I knew he was in the area a few weeks before by spotting a large rub while scouting / squirrel hunting. Pic attached.
                          Pig, do you look like The Creature of the Black Lagoon or Frankenstein?
                          Your head is always cut off? :-))

Comment

With black Bears I look for tracks, scat and runs. I check for falling trees over streams to see if the Bears are using the easy bridge to cross. I look for broken saplings and claw marks on the trees. The beech trees have claw marks going upward to eat the beech nuts.
                            The Big boars like to mark their territory. I have seen tree saplings broken down from five feet up.
                            Yes trail cameras tell me if any four hundred pound Bears are feeding on my bait pile.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

My head is shown in my profile pic.... Actually, I've been told there's a resemblance to Kevin Costner. However, my opinion is there's more of a resemblance to James Spader.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget