Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

60 DAYS TO EARLY ARCHERY IN MY UNIT!!!???!!!???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 60 DAYS TO EARLY ARCHERY IN MY UNIT!!!???!!!???

I'M NOT READY!
    I hate to admit it but I haven't fired an arrow in months. Not only am I not at the top of my game if I don't lead up to the season by at least 4 weeks, my confidence is lower, which means I'll hold my hand on shots I otherwise would feel OK about releasing.
    Who's good to go? Who's got some rust to knock off?

I just started shooting my bow again this week, after an 8-month layoff. It's the longest stretch of not shooting since I took up archery. Part of it was due to bow problems, which still aren't solved, and part was because I just don't like archery as much anymore. Shot great, though - better than when I hung it up last November.

Comment

Our Bow Season in Fl, Starts Sept,18th and like PH, X-Bow for me also, It looks like a tuff season with all the rain the under brush is lush & high so are the trees that line the Planted pines. I leave my x-bow out over nite to temper for the next days hunt.

Comment

Guilty also, but after 30 years and 10 with the same bow I know my limitations.
        The boy's been at it steady since school got out. Will be joining him shortly.

JC; Seem to recall you have a daughter about hunting age, she joining you yet? Hope so and that it's going well.

Comment

2 months for us as well. I'm as ready as I'll ever be with the bow...I've shot it at least once a week since last season. I've never been a very good archery shot, but I know my limits. I badly need to finish/work on clearing out shooting lanes. Everything is grown up this year due to lots of rain.

Comment

I don't rush into bow season, like to see a little cooler weather. The brush is very thick so there is lots of work to do by my stand. I shoot both Xbow and compound and the Club has a dedicated range with distance markers and backstops so I can practice whenever I think to bring my bow.

Comment

I've been using the same bow for about a decade too. A lot of riding a bike comparisons here. To a point I agree. But all skills are perishable. I did some shooting last night handgun and carbine. It had been more than a few weeks. I didn't forget how to shoot, but it took some rounds to get back to being satisfied, particularly with the pistol at high volumes..
              When I pick up my bow after a long break, standing at the line at a known 20 yards everything seems like I haven't missed a beat. But start wandering around the targets, changing angles, judging distances out to 40(in practice, I do hold myself to 25 or 30 in the woods), add elevation... and suddenly I'm not as sharp as I will be in a few weeks of shooting.

Comment

New Jersey archery starts up in early September. During the first month you must earn a buck tag, by shooting a doe first. I do not like shooting the breeders, so I don't care to go.
                October the bucks are fair game. Some days are real warm and the biting bugs are flying around annoying the hell at of me with every bite.
                November extended archery season is my favorite month. Cooler weather, no bugs, less ticks and the Rut starts up (:-))

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

JC; Seem to recall you have a daughter about hunting age, she joining you yet? Hope so and that it's going well.
                  She's up for small game and the occasional goose hunt but doesn't want to shoot something as big and personal as a deer. I'm not pushing.

Comment

Anytime out together is a wonderful thing, better you both enjoy the experience.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
                      I've been using the same bow for about a decade too. A lot of riding a bike comparisons here. To a point I agree. But all skills are perishable. I did some shooting last night handgun and carbine. It had been more than a few weeks. I didn't forget how to shoot, but it took some rounds to get back to being satisfied, particularly with the pistol at high volumes..
                      When I pick up my bow after a long break, standing at the line at a known 20 yards everything seems like I haven't missed a beat. But start wandering around the targets, changing angles, judging distances out to 40(in practice, I do hold myself to 25 or 30 in the woods), add elevation... and suddenly I'm not as sharp as I will be in a few weeks of shooting.
                      Your right of course, but it won't take long to knock that rust off. Longest shot at a deer I've ever taken was 27 yards, and my stands don't change from year to year so I know my distances. Guy I used to teach Bowhunter Ed classes with was fond of saying " Close is good, closer is better" Should be a bow hunters mantra. RIP Perry.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
                        That's a good motto.

Comment

I've got three kids. A girl in college, a 14 yr old girl, and a 9 year old boy.
                          They've all spent some time out on stand and sat for bushy tails. The boy hasn't been goose hunting but its partly because I was doing it to get out with a buddy for a few years.. it's just not my thing. Way too gear intensive.
                          The little guy has skinned a couple of deer at his insistence. Kind of amazes me. Will be interesting in another year or so when I can trust him with a crossbow.

Comment

wow, almost there! Hope you're ready. If not, just wing it, as long as your archery is strong the rest can fall into place.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget