Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How's deer activity out your way at the moment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How's deer activity out your way at the moment?

It's been fall levels around my area. There's always a bump in spring once fields green up and cover is thicker so the deer feel more secure on the fringes. I've had to hit the breaks on mature deer, both doe and buck in velvet, several times in the last week in the late afternoons and early evening, and have been hearing a lot of people mention same. I'm seeing a lot of hit deer and few of them are fawns.

It's not that their unseen ghosts all year, but right now I'm seeing the level of activity at times of day that I typically associate with mid August.

I've seen quite a few does and fawns, but not a lot of bucks. Was up in WI visiting family the first weekend in June, and saw one really nice buck up there, but haven't encountered anything like that here. I haven't been out and about a lot, though, for various reasons.

Comment

Okay, are we back? I think maybe so. Thanks, Natalie and crew. Right, deer activity .... I haven't been out much and really can't say. Next week I'll probably get back into my routine of short nightly hikes after work, since it's light now so late, and will keep an eye out for anything different. In the meantime, speaking of unusual deer activity, check this out ....
      http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2017/06/no_youre_not_crazy_a_deer_was_on_roof_of_syracuse_ business_this_morning.html#incart_river_index

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
        Okay, are we back? I think maybe so. Thanks, Natalie and crew. Right, deer activity .... I haven't been out much and really can't say. Next week I'll probably get back into my routine of short nightly hikes after work, since it's light now so late, and will keep an eye out for anything different. In the meantime, speaking of unusual deer activity, check this out ....
        http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2017/06/no_youre_not_crazy_a_deer_was_on_roof_of_syracuse_ business_this_morning.html#incart_river_index
        Wow! Can't say I've ever heard of a deer on a roof before.

Comment

I had to laugh at the commenter who said, "Well, clearly, it's one of Santa's reindeer on vacation." Only question is, who'd be crazy enough to go to Syracuse, NY for a vacation?

Comment

Dang...I am like 2/8 on my posts showing up...and don't have time to re-type it atm.

Comment

Ooh, not a fan of Syracuse, eh? Where's your sense of state pride?

Comment

There are a lot of good things about it -- right now, in fact, the AHL hockey team is playing in the Calder Cup finals; I go to a lot of their games. I like some of the local food specialties, and growing up, I was a big fan of SU basketball. Thing is, it's becoming a cesspool, crime-wise. It used to be sort of that odd "little big city" that was a pretty decent place; now it's like a mini-version of Chicago.

Comment

Just normal for this time of year down south. The deer are mostly staying in deep shade and creek bottoms to escape the heat. I'm still seeing my three "pet" does at the camp when I put out corn for them. They know that the sound of the tractor means that I'm in residence and they expect to be fed in the evening. Pregnancies are becoming obvious---the fawns won't drop until August, due to our much later rut.

Comment

I've noticed more mid-June activity than usual, I've startled more fawns out of the hayfield than normal. Seeing more fawns could be due to our coyote population being lower than its been for a few years.

Comment

Yes with all the rain we gotten here in Fl, our food plots are growing and so are the weeds, last time out we saw 12 in one food plot 4 in an other plot Looks to be a good year. Some of the older fellers go out on coyote patrol & bear witch.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget