Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

any one else visiting their deer stands clearing shooting lanes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any one else visiting their deer stands clearing shooting lanes?

Preparations

No..
    I generally wait til mid summer when I can better see what's really sprung up in the way while leaving some cover in place. Though my semi-permanent stand locations are all for archery, so it's not quite a big lift to slide in there for an hour and remove newly offending limbs.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter
      This is the wrong time of year to do that in central Alabama. Most growth occurs in Spring and Summer. So, it's better to wait until late August / early September to clear shooting lanes.
      Agreed. In most parts of the country, certainly where I'm at in the mid-Atlantic, nothing has grown since October, so my stands are more clear now than they were during the season..

Comment

Nope. I do all my stand-related work in late summer or early fall, mostly in September. That way I can cut exactly what I need to, without worry about clearing too much or not enough.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter
          This is the wrong time of year to do that in central Alabama. Most growth occurs in Spring and Summer. So, it's better to wait until late August / early September to clear shooting lanes.
          If I cut now, it just encourages growth over the summer. I'll wait until pighunter starts cutting his.

Comment

I '.m fortunate to hunt several tracts and often never hunt a tract that particular year,plus I always like to hunt different sets to add a liitle variation and keep a fresh Perspective.Retirement suits my lifestyle well as it allows time to meander and look for morels,indian artifacts,drop sheds,twisted cane saplings etc. I carry prun shears to trim limbs and remove limbs from atv trails,I get a lot done now so later when its hot or short on time most of the work is done. Hmmm seems like a heard about a guy that said never put off on tomorrow on what can be done today,

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget