Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would be a time to start hunting for Whitetailed Deer and what is the most effective weapon to use???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would be a time to start hunting for Whitetailed Deer and what is the most effective weapon to use???

I'm just curious because one of my freinds is going hunting in west Virginia and he's new

Ummm. The time to start hunting is whenever the season is open. I don't know when that is in WV, so you're on your own there. I guess the "best" time is usually the rut (the breeding season), but I think that's long over in that region.
    The most effective weapon varies, depending on legality. If rifles are legal, they would be most effective. Something like a .270 or .308 would be a good choice. If rifles aren't legal, then you're looking at a muzzleloader or shotgun with slugs.
    Sorry I can't be more specific, your question is a little vague.

Comment

Deer hunting would likely begin with the opening of the season, which in WV is sometime in November, I believe. Or do you mean what time in someone's life would he or she start hunting? As to what kind of weapon, do mean bow vs. gun, or what kind of bow or gun? There are many, many options.

Comment

I too was wondering if you meant time of day or year.
        In the very general way it was asked, it depends on conditions if we're talking time of day. the first few and last couple of hours of daylight are often the most active, but 12 noon can happen as well. Welcome aboard, there are a lot of articles you can find using the search function here that'll keep you reading good advice from better teachers than me. I haven't exactly covered myself in glory this year, but I like every minute I get out.

Comment

In the early season, well before the rut, you want to hunt them in the afternoons. As the rut nears and during the rut, mornings can be very productive. During the rut any time you can be in the woods is a good time.

Comment

Hunt early,hunt late,hunt often, practice with whatever weapon is legal. until you become deadly and proficient . find a mentor to show you how

Comment

WV gun season opens the Monday of Thanksgiving

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget