Scent masking with that of other animals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scent masking with that of other animals

I went deer hunting yesterday after working with my horses. If my riding clothing had smelled any more of horses the deer would have thought I had four legs. I wonder how much or how successfully this would mask the human scent?

I think I would trust that particular cover before I would any of the commercial products. All things considered, though, I think a deer's nose could still figure things out, unless you were wrapped up like a mummy in the horse-smelling fabrics.

Comment

I don't know if you could find a strong enough cover scent to completely mask your human scent---or if you could stand to use it. To a deer, I expect it's something like, "Whoa---there's a human that a fox peed on." Or, "That poor human fell in the manure pile after being sprayed by a skunk."

Comment

I'm pretty sure that any scent strong enough to completely cover up your human smell would also be strong enough to be unbearable. It can't hurt though, as long as said scent is something that won't register as dangerous to deer.

Comment

I always try to use natural scent from the area I am hunting. I have also shot deer that smelled just like cow plop. The farmer told me the deer sneak right in the barn with the cows.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
            I always try to use natural scent from the area I am hunting. I have also shot deer that smelled just like cow plop. The farmer told me the deer sneak right in the barn with the cows.
            I too have heard that same comment from other farmers, that they have observed deer to enter their barns and stay in empty stalls ! Maybe that is the new best place to hunt, lol !

Comment

Try it out richard,let us know how it works out for you.lol In themean time try learning a little on your own instead. Of advice. on what some one else made up or proclaimed to observe.

Comment

Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
                I'm pretty sure that any scent strong enough to completely cover up your human smell would also be strong enough to be unbearable. It can't hurt though, as long as said scent is something that won't register as dangerous to deer.
                I figured someone that professes to trap would know all about stink stuff and would have learned how to not be affected by smells,,but I forgot,your the guy that his feelings get hurt when he shoots squirrels at 6 feet,and then proclaim, easiest shot I ever made.

Comment

Sorry that I did not respond earlier fellow as work tends to entervene upon
                  leisure time. Thank you for taking the time to makes these comments. I enjoy having responses from across the country.. across the continent in fact as I am from Canada. That would be the country to your North who do not require a wall to be built to keep us our. Heck, we are to busy visiting Disney Land and the sunshine states in our cold winter months to be denied. We don't crawl under fences we come by plane and RV with our wallets filled. You are equally welcome to come North to hunt and see our magnificnent parks and hunt in wilderness country. I will hunt our big game but I would suffer big time to be denied turkey hunting in Wisconsin

Comment

Originally posted by Kody View Post
                    leisure time. Thank you for taking the time to makes these comments. I enjoy having responses from across the country.. across the continent in fact as I am from Canada. That would be the country to your North who do not require a wall to be built to keep us our. Heck, we are to busy visiting Disney Land and the sunshine states in our cold winter months to be denied. We don't crawl under fences we come by plane and RV with our wallets filled. You are equally welcome to come North to hunt and see our magnificnent parks and hunt in wilderness country. I will hunt our big game but I would suffer big time to be denied turkey hunting in Wisconsin
                    just reread my comments and I wish to blame the site as I did not think I made so many errors within my text. ... perhaps I should type wearing my glasses

Comment

I'll bet you never learned anything or took any advice from anyone, 6p, including when you were in school. Or did you even go to school? I know that you had to have flunked English anyway.

Comment

Why, you have a nice day too. I know you're just trying to make me say something I might regret (although that's unlikely), but I'm not going to give you the satisfaction. Have fun trolling.

Comment

Originally posted by Kody View Post
                          Pretty soon you're the one that's going to be building a fence, to keep out all the people who are talking about leaving the U.S. because of Trump's victory. Lol

Comment

6p, if I could make out what you said, I might have an answer to your nonsense. However, until you get off the bottle I am sure I will always be wondering if you have actually written this stuff or if it was done by your dog !

Comment

Hft, anything you say about 6p could never be regreted, that is unless you said something good or that he was part of the human race ! But if you ever did that we would all ask that you be bannd from this site forever !! Do I need to say more ?????

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Strangers meet.
                                by 99explorer
                                A man is able to contact his long lost brother who he has never met.
                                They agree to meet in a crowded public place.
                                No identification markers...
                                08-16-2019, 11:03 PM
                              • OU football
                                by FirstBubba
                                Big G, thought you might like to know, I'm going to watch some OU football this fall.
                                The orthopaedic surgeon who rebuilt my hip is retired and...
                                08-16-2019, 10:35 PM
                              • True romance.
                                by 99explorer
                                A doctor and a bus driver are both in love with the same woman, a beautiful girl named Sarah.
                                The bus driver has to go on a long bus trip that will...
                                08-16-2019, 09:11 AM
                              • A question of standing.
                                by 99explorer
                                A man says to his father, "I'm standing behind you."
                                The father replies, "And I am standing behind you, son."
                                Could this...
                                08-15-2019, 01:59 PM
                              • Cashier problem.
                                by 99explorer
                                You are a cashier and owe a customer $41 change from a $50 bill.
                                You have every denomination of paper currency in the drawer except $1 bills, and...
                                08-14-2019, 03:39 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X