Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do deer react to circumstances logically or instinctively?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do deer react to circumstances logically or instinctively?

Understanding deer mentality

6P, I seriously doubt that deer have logical thoughts.

Comment

Even when it seems that a deer is thinking something out (like bedding in thick stuff near a parking area and letting hunters walk right by all day), I think it's still just instinct. Think of all the different dangers a wild animal has to get used to, from the moment it's born. I don't think anything that humans do is all that different from all the non-human dangers it's learned how to deal with already -- learned by instinct, simply observing as a youngster what the adults around it do, and simply following it's race-memory or gene-memory or evolution or whatever that is. And, at this point in natural history, I think it's not unreasonable to believe that humans have indeed contributed to that evolution. So, even the smartest old buck is really just the most highly evolved buck, with instincts a little sharper than his friends and relatives. There's no cognitive process going on underneath his antlers.

Comment

Don't over think things 6p!
        A deer by any other name is STILL a deer!
        Hunger, relax, opposite sex, thirsty and run to escape a threat.
        About all a deer "thinks" about.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
          Anyway, that is what we all hope. Who would want to think themselves dumber than a deer ! If that were the case, it might mean some would not qualify to get a hunting license in the first place. But then that might not be such a bad idea either ! I guess if one has to think which is the smarter, then he is in pretty bad shape. Of course this is all said in jest, unless ............. !

Comment

If thats the case and deer cannot connect the logic that where there is smoke there must be a hunter,smoke does not alarm deer,

Comment

Instinctively. Animals cannot reason. I feel relatively safe in saying that now that charlie and JM aren't here (for those who missed it, we had quite the heated debate on whether animals can reason some time back). Lol

Comment

Instinctively. Animals cannot reason. I feel relatively safe in saying that now that charlie and JM aren't here (for those who missed it, we had quite the heated debate on whether animals can reason some time back). Lol

Comment

In the first place, using the word "mentality" you are indicating that animals have the mental capacity to think or reason. It would be more correct to say understanding an animals instincts or it's DNA which was obtained through birth ! If animals could think, there would be many fewer of them killed as they would be much smarter than many hunters. So don't try to carry this too far !!

Comment

Correct,instinctive. So deer don't. think if they smell A marlboro burning then 6pmust be behind that tree, or fire on a stand

Comment

I have two stories. When I was young, a crow eating carrion would fly up to the power wire when a car came along, then back down when the car passed. Now, the crow jumps off to the shoulder and waits for the car to pass. Conserve energy?
                      Story two, my Sister lives on a busy suburban street and has an apple tree in front. The deer come to eat almost every day. When they leave, the doe with 2 or 3 fawns will stand at the curb and look both ways until there is a break in the traffic and they cross safely.
                      Who taught them that???

Comment

Richard, great wit!

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
                          Even when it seems that a deer is thinking something out (like bedding in thick stuff near a parking area and letting hunters walk right by all day), I think it's still just instinct. Think of all the different dangers a wild animal has to get used to, from the moment it's born. I don't think anything that humans do is all that different from all the non-human dangers it's learned how to deal with already -- learned by instinct, simply observing as a youngster what the adults around it do, and simply following it's race-memory or gene-memory or evolution or whatever that is. And, at this point in natural history, I think it's not unreasonable to believe that humans have indeed contributed to that evolution. So, even the smartest old buck is really just the most highly evolved buck, with instincts a little sharper than his friends and relatives. There's no cognitive process going on underneath his antlers.
                          Totally agree with you Matt

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                            Don't over think things 6p!
                            A deer by any other name is STILL a deer!
                            Hunger, relax, opposite sex, thirsty and run to escape a threat.
                            About all a deer "thinks" about.
                            Heck, some Saturday nights I'm nothing but an animal too

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
                              In the first place, using the word "mentality" you are indicating that animals have the mental capacity to think or reason. It would be more correct to say understanding an animals instincts or it's DNA which was obtained through birth ! If animals could think, there would be many fewer of them killed as they would be much smarter than many hunters. So don't try to carry this too far !!
                              Indeed!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget