Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does the quality of duck and goose decoys really matter. Is it worth the more money to buy the flocked heads and motion stakes c

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does the quality of duck and goose decoys really matter. Is it worth the more money to buy the flocked heads and motion stakes c

Does the quality of duck and goose decoys really matter. Is it worth the more money to buy the flocked heads and motion stakes compared to cheap shell decoys.

I haven't done much goose hunting but duck hunting I have. I beleive that the more realistic the better. Motion decoys seem to work better early in the season but start to flare ducks later in the season depending on hunting pressure. Make sure your motion decoy has a remote control so you can turn it off if you see ducks starting to flare from it. Sometimes I will also try moving it a little farther away from my spread. I have noticed a lot of ducks seem to dislike motion decoys on lakes where they get a lot of hunting pressure but I have had great success with them in flooded timber off of the Sabine river bottoms in Texas. That's another thing.....hunting in Texas can be tough at times because ducks have seen every spread and heard every duck call on their long journey down here. Hope this helps. Bust some ducks.

Comment

To elaborate a bit, I would say it can be extremely beneficial to have motion decoys and some full bodies in your bag. Waterfoul will change their mind by the day as to what they like and what will have them second guessing any spread. In my experience, a motion decoy or two in the spread has always brought them closer. This goes for ducks and geese, land and water. At the same time, there might be a day when you gotta take down those motion decoys because the birds aren't having any part of it. When you're out hunting just try to pay attention to the birds.. If they look like they're really looking for a place to land, and while they're far away it appears they love what you have set out, then they get just out of gun range and scatter... something's not right with your spread. change something up.. Experience will bag you hundreds of birds that even the best decoy couldn't. Hit the field and learn from mistakes. Have fun!

Comment

ive killed hundreds of geese over bigfoot goose decoys they are the best and now they sell goose shells the most important thing though is concealment brush out your blinds well and get where the geese want to be and you will be successful

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• What is taking so long ?
          by jhjimbo
          Can't be that hard for the Administrator to 86 the spammers....
          Today, 07:52 PM
        • Burn cream
          by CD2
          Drugstore used to carry a white silver cream.
          No longer does.
          Was maybe 10 bucks or so for a little tube.
          Bargain.

Got...
          Today, 05:39 PM
        • Colorado surprise. Couple of dads guns.
          by dewman
          So even with all the wrangling being done to screw we 4 sons of my father I got a little lucky. Even though my stepmom is still alive and her 3 sons from...
          Yesterday, 10:12 PM
        • Now That's Service
          by jhjimbo
          Had my local Jeep dealer mount two tires and rotate some. When they did that they also spray painted my rims to cover up some brake dust stains I could...
          Yesterday, 07:57 PM
        • Lost some cover; pic heavy
          by fitch270
          ​ ​ ​ Long story shorter, my Aunt’s 70’ish year old spring line plugged up last Friday, a combination of old iron pipe and poly. The only way to...
          09-19-2020, 06:07 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X