No announcement yet.

Well, almost.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Kid’s back. No birds encountered but he did find two leek patches so it wasn’t a total bust.

Comment

It's just a matter of time!
      One will eventually stumble by! 😜!

Comment

fitch270, just a FYI!

Yesterday, the boss and me drove back to OK from South Texas.
        Since I've got a cast on my right foot, I can't drive! So it was 550 miles of watching the scenery rush by! LOL!
        Down near Tilden, Texas, I spotted a hen standing just inside an open gate to a big cutover field. She had several small poults with her.
        Meh.
        That's about right for that area. Gestation on eggs is 21 days.
        I told you about turkey behavior down here has been a bit odd. No "standard" activities, etc.
        We crossed the TX/OK border (Red River) and about halfway between Waurika, OK and Taylor, OK, there was a jake, all alone, standing just over the fence into a pasture. The little dude was in an all out strut!
        By this time in Okla (early May) the toms are beginning to gather back into bachelor groups and single strutting toms "especially" jakes, are an exception.

I really think the horrible cold spell back in March and an exceptionally cool, wet spring really messed up their SOP! LOL!

P.S. we're only 1575 miles apart! 😬
        Last edited by FirstBubba; 05-09-2021, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
          fitch270, just a FYI!

Yesterday, the boss and me drove back to OK from South Texas.
          Since I've got a cast on my right foot, I can't drive! So it was 550 miles of watching the scenery rush by! LOL!
          Down near Tilden, Texas, I spotted a hen standing just inside an open gate to a big cutover field. She had several small poults with her.
          Meh.
          That's about right for that area. Gestation on eggs is 21 days.
          I told you about turkey behavior down here has been a bit odd. No "standard" activities, etc.
          We crossed the TX/OK border (Red River) and about halfway between Waurika, OK and Taylor, OK, there was a jake, all alone, standing just over the fence into a pasture. The little dude was in an all out strut!
          By this time in Okla (early May) the toms are beginning to gather back into bachelor groups and single strutting toms "especially" jakes, are an exception.

I really think the horrible cold spell back in March and an exceptionally cool, wet spring really messed up their SOP! LOL!

P.S. we're only 1575 miles apart! 😬

On Friday I saw one single tom and 6 or 7 lone hens during my travels. I was hoping things might turn around but nothing changed much over the weekend. Early Sunday was the same deal.

A guy I know shot a 23 lb tom that was strutting in his driveway and one of the Kid’s friends killed a typical 2 year old that was working a field with some others. He’d get them about 50-60 yards away and they’d wander off. He finally figured out which way they were headed got in position to cut them off. It worked.

Might just end up being one of those years. Odd thing is we seem to have more toms and jakes than hens. You’d think the competition would have them worked up more.

Comment

"... He’d get them about 50-60 yards away and they’d wander off. He finally figured out which way they were headed got in position to cut them off. It worked. ..."

I've done that more than once! LOL!
            There's more than one way to skin a cat! 😉

100_1075.JPG During "Primitive Arms" season, I kept seeing a bachelor group run up under a tree on a creek bank. When the entire group finally gathered under the tree, they would fly across the creek one by one or by two's or three's.

Turkey season opened when Primitive Season closed.

Yup! Set up an "ambush" near the tree. Worked!

Comment

Was just real sure we'd have a story here this morning about "the girl" and her turkey!
              Am I too early?

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                Was just real sure we'd have a story here this morning about "the girl" and her turkey!
                Am I too early?

It’s looking like this season will be a bust, first in 6-8 years nobody punched a tag.

I took Friday off for a 4 day weekend and we’ve been out each morning for a little while. Haven’t hit it hard because it’s been quiet and the weather is crappy. Last two days it’s been on and off rain showers with temps in the high 40’s. It’s going to be a bit warmer today and tomorrow but still rainy. Could be tough on newly hatched chicks as well.

Short version: Last Saturday I worked a tom for two hours, had him at about 50 yards when a hen showed up out of nowhere and dragged him away.

Yesterday the Kid went back up around 10:30 and called a hen in to about 15 yards. She’d posture and carry on confused but finally drifted off.

Other than that it’s been quiet. Trail cams are getting sporadic pics, often in the afternoons. Coupe toms but the jakes we encountered youth weekend have cleared out completely. Got a couple coyotes on the camera as well, don’t know how much they’re affecting things. Plus side we’ve seen a few deer and have a mama and very young fawn on the camera.

One last chance tomorrow morning. Maybe we’ll pull a rabbit out of the hat.

Comment

Break a leg!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Burds
                    by Amflyer
                    Still day, overcast, family gone for a visit for the week. So , hopped in the kayak and did some slow paddlin' to get close to birds....wish I bought...
                    07-28-2021, 09:26 PM
                  • Cabela’s / Bass Pro promo
                    by fitch270
                    This came in the mail a few days ago, at first I wasn’t surprised by it as we haven’t purchased much of anything since the merger. We also canceled...
                    07-26-2021, 08:03 PM
                  • Top three. (3)
                    by FirstBubba
                    We all have our favorites.

First favorite!
                    What is your favorite species of fish to eat?
                    1. my favorite is Pacific cod. clean,...
                    07-25-2021, 09:36 PM
                  • Not a crappy crappie dinner
                    by fitch270
                    The plan was to have a fish fry while camping this weekend even if it meant stooping to smallish bluegills and perch. The goal was for the Kid and I to...
                    07-25-2021, 01:36 PM
                  • Right now
                    by fitch270
                    07-24-2021, 10:45 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X