Well, almost.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, almost.....

Youth weekend. We’ve been going into this turkey season low key since our plan usually ends up being the same regardless. As usual we set up low just as dawn broke, the spot is easy to slip into without getting busted but generally close enough to hear any birds on the roost.

Conditions were perfect; Clear, cool and dead still. A slight frost at the house ran out just a little ways up the hill. My daughter and I took a post at the spot the Kid killed his first bird 5 years ago. He sat behind us about fifteen yards with the GoPro and his phone to get video and to tag team call if needed. It was kinda quiet, even the tweety birds weren’t very active. I’d let out a few easy clucks and yelps now and then but no replies at all. About a half hour in the Kid starts with some yelps of his own. I turn to look and he motions to the big meadow up top. He’s chilled so I figure he’s heard a hen. About 15 minutes later I give him another look and he shakes me off. We get up and he confirms but says she went silent.

We loop around to reposition at the top of the upper meadow. We walk the road because it’s quieter but at the top we hang back from the crest where it breaks into the field. Been busted by deer and turkeys too many times over the years. The kid pulls out his Lynch box and lets out a couple yelps. I can’t hear it but both kid’s heads snap my way. He lets out another couple yelps and gets an instant response I can hear.

We back into the woods, him on the low side and us above. We hear gobbles before we get sat down. I call and get another response, then the Kid does and they hammer again. My daughter has her gun up and I tell her to take the safety off, if they break over the crest they’ll be in range and closing. One does, except he’s not stupid enough to walk in the open where he can’t see. He’s five yards in the woods to right where there’s no shot. Next thing we know more birds come waltzing in heading down to our right. The Kid is lined up perfect of course but he’s out of the game. They keep going right, she has no shot and I’ll be in the way. There’s definitely one long beard but several others look like red heads but I can’t make out beards. The Kid starts calling trying to pull them back to us but they aren’t buying it. At the same time they aren’t going anywhere, just hanging up about 40 yards out.

With nothing to lose I rip off multiple sets of cutts Eddie Van Halen would be proud of. Three jakes simultaneously gobble in that broken voice they do. Now I can see one has a beard about 2” long. A couple other birds just keep moseying away. Meantime one bird is 50 yards out blown up and motionless. The jakes are acting totally confused milling back and forth. I see a second bird down by the big tom, turns out another hen had slid up behind us. The kids had heard her but I didn’t. The hen keeps moving towards the others back in and all the rest follow. I tell my daughter to put the safe back on and we let them walk off into the woods.

The Kid is jacked, my daughter is pleased and disappointed but doesn’t show it. I’m in the same boat with my daughter, we know it was a good morning but oh so close...

The Kid has a community service obligation with Scouts at 9:00 so we all head down for breakfast. About 8:30 the girl and I head back up. We spend a couple hours of sit and move but have no encounters other than catching glimpse of two deer.

I have some errands to run on a time frame so we knock off and get back to the house about 11:00. We still have tomorrow get get it done before the regular season opens next Saturday.
    Last edited by fitch270; 04-24-2021, 06:31 PM.

Well, at least you got to see and hear birds!
    That's enough to keep me hyped and coming back!
    Good luck tomorrow!

Comment

Thanks.

I doubt those birds are staying together all the while but it seemed odd for hens, jakes and a tom to all be bunched up. The boys definitely weren’t leaving the ladies though. Can’t help but wonder if we’d had a decoy to set in the road if they’d have come straight at us. The Kid said a couple looked before turning off.

Comment

Depends on what transition they are in.
        Sounds like transition #2.
        If that's the case, the toms are going to be hard pressed to leave a harem of hens.
        If you can get one hen po'd and coming to you for a fight, she may drag a gobbler with her.
        Fighting purrs and a strutting gobbler deke could work.
        I've pulled gobblers to me with fighting purrs, but never close enough for a kill.....yet!😀!

Comment

I take a stroll about sunset and listen for the roost. In the AM at legal time I give out a crow call. That seems to get their attention and they helicopter down to the ground. After that, anything can happen.

Comment

Went out quick this morning before needing to get ready for church, we went up top and of course the toms were sounding off down low. Two were a couple neighbors down and another on a neighbor in back. All vocal off the roost but just the pair kept talking on the ground. Nothing sounded like it was coming our way and no hens heard or encountered. Pretty sure they’re hooked up for now. Hopefully by next weekend they’ll start splitting up more.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
              Went out quick this morning before needing to get ready for church, we went up top and of course the toms were sounding off down low. Two were a couple neighbors down and another on a neighbor in back. All vocal off the roost but just the pair kept talking on the ground. Nothing sounded like it was coming our way and no hens heard or encountered. Pretty sure they’re hooked up for now. Hopefully by next weekend they’ll start splitting up more.
              Sounds like it.
              Can you hunt afternoons?

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

Sounds like it.
                Can you hunt afternoons?
                Nope. There’s been talk of changing the regs but I’m not sure if there’s much push for it.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

Nope. There’s been talk of changing the regs but I’m not sure if there’s much push for it.
                  Bummer dude!
                  Is it a "Sunday" thing or "mornings only" thing?

Comment

Back up for documentation.

First, this is a shot of the road I referred to where it runs into the top corner of the upper meadow.

EC5113AF-70E7-4AD9-AD95-2C0AC5AE668C.png

We stopped about 3/4’s of the way to the top when the Kid hit his box call. What we couldn’t see about 50 yards past was this........

Comment

Most of them were in the frame but I think there were 8 total, plus the one hen that came up from behind.

Oh so close.......

Comment

This morning we split up, my daughter and I sitting low and the Kid up in this corner.

My daughter and I had some excitement early on that I’ll post about in predator hunting. Meantime a bit later we had one tom talking off the roost that we thought was between the Kid and us. Turns out it was above him but the sound was carrying well, even I could hear him a few times.

About ten minutes later I caught a turkey behind us coming down from the general direction of the gobbling. I figured it was him coming in quiet but it turned out not. The tom ended up crossing behind the Kid, still sounding of but now out of our ear shot I’m thinking the bird I saw may have been the same line hen from last weekend. Stuck it out until we all were cold, it snowed this morning, then after breakfast went back up for another hour or so. Totally quiet like late morning last week.

Have another spot back in the woods we may try, it’s close to where the birds keep heading.

Comment

OH so close!
                          I can't wait to get out there this fall and next spring!

Comment

Season update;

Not much happening after the birds have been hitting the ground. They’ve been vocal off the roost but we can’t seem to draw any interest. Even from hens for the most part.

Yesterday the Kid decided to give it a go before school and heard them on the next ridge over. Same thing this morning. My daughter and I had stayed low again and she picked them up as well. It was drizzling out so we came down for breakfast as we usually do when it’s slow. About 9:00 the Kid decided he was heading over to a public parcel on the other side. My girl and I went back up on the hill and finally had one hen answer from way up top but that was it.

Didn't hear any shots from across the way, the Kid still has until 12:00 so who knows. I’m not sure there’s cell service over there so will have to wait until he gets back for a report.

Not giving up, general consensus from other hunters is that it’s been slow. Could break loose any day.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget