No announcement yet.

Spring is hear & Turkey season is nigh.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring is hear & Turkey season is nigh.

The rye, wheat, triticale, and grass are growing and the turkeys are feeling their oats. The Tom's in the flocks I've been seeing are starting to strut.

Based on the number of birds I'm seeing it's shaping up to be a good spring for turkey hunting. There are 2 or 3 flocks of 15-25 birds living on or near the local WIHA.

​​​​​Kansas youth season opens April 1st, regular season on the 17th.
    ​​​​ ​​​​

Nice picture. Sounds like you and MossbergMan from Minnesota are looking at some good bird numbers for your seasons. Our season opens May 1st. I haven't laid eyes on any birds yet but saw some tracks this past weekend, a couple of very good-sized toms. Trout season opens Monday and I'll surely see some birds in the fields as I drive about the county from stream to stream.

Are those Rio Grandes?

Comment

Thanks Matt.
      They're Easterns. Rio's are in the Western ⅔ of the state. Although I am close enough to the "hybrid zone" that it's possible there's some Rio Grande influence.

Comment

Good luck Monday Matt I miss those openers on Naples Creek. Used to go the night before and camp out to be there opening. Thirty minutes later the creek was so riled up even the fish could not see. There were some beautiful rainbows coming out of that creek.
        Last edited by jhjimbo; 03-28-2019, 06:22 AM.

Comment

Thanks, Jimbo. Weather forecast looks pretty decent for a change.

Comment

Spring Turkey opens April 6th.
            So far, I haven't seen the first bird!
            I used to see birds quite often.Rhere is a WMA about 2 miles east. Usually, you can see large flocks coming out if winter mode with strutting toms and lots of hens.
            This year?
            NOTHING!
            I'm beginning to wonder if we've had a die off.

Comment

Red, it looks like a nice area for Deer and Turkey.👍
              I took my turkey attraction song Bird feeders down on the side of the house.☹️
              The wife wants a three season room she can enjoy, since I confiscated the enclosed patio in the back. IMG_7253.JPG

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
                Red, it looks like a nice area for Deer and Turkey.👍
                I took my turkey attraction song Bird feeders down on the side of the house.☹️
                The wife wants a three season room she can enjoy, since I confiscated the enclosed patio in the back. IMG_7253.JPG
                It is a really good area for wildlife.

Looks like your addition is off to a good start.

Comment

Just an Update on my new three season room.
                  Roof is finished and windows being installed.
                  Our cat Lucy is watching turkeys a couple months ago, right where the new addition is being built.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget