Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I checked a trail cam today, and lo and behold I had a picture of a white turkey on it. First time I've ever seen/gotten a photo of a white turkey. It's definitely a wild bird, because it's a poult with a normal-colored hen (see photo below). I've tr

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I checked a trail cam today, and lo and behold I had a picture of a white turkey on it. First time I've ever seen/gotten a photo of a white turkey. It's definitely a wild bird, because it's a poult with a normal-colored hen (see photo below). I've tr

    I checked a trail cam today, and lo and behold I had a picture of a white turkey on it. First time I've ever seen/gotten a photo of a white turkey. It's definitely a wild bird, because it's a poult with a normal-colored hen (see photo below). I've tried to find out if it's legal to shoot a white turkey in IA, but I can't find any info on it. Two questions: Does anyone know about the legality of that? And if you had the opportunity to shoot a white turkey, and it was legal to do so, would you?

  • #2
    Photo
    Attached Files

    Comment


    • #3
      Guess you have your fall bird picked out, eh? I have never seen a white wild turkey, in the wild, and you know I'm out chasing and watching turkeys year round.
      As I understand IA regs it's legal because it is not illegal. Just don't shoot it while riding a horse. Using a horse to hunt turkeys is explicitly illegal. Thank Teddy Roosevelt for that law. Anyway I would shoot that white bird during the fall without hesitation. If it turned out to be jake; shoot it in spring too.

      Comment


      • #4
        Smart guy you are hft. Checked to see if any meta data was left in that pic... You either wiped it or your camera does not record it. You'd be surprised how many hunters post trail cam pics online with all the meta data. An excellent scouting tool for those who know what to look for. :-D)

        Comment


        • #5
          -Friend of mine sent me a picture this morning of an albino raccoon he got on his camera. Not sure why it would be illegal in Iowa. I think I would shoot it if I had the chance, but I doubt I ever will. Then again, I doubt you expected one on the camera. Why I love hunting and fishing...you just never know what you will see.
          -Also, I answered you on my question thread.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by charlie elk View Post
            Guess you have your fall bird picked out, eh? I have never seen a white wild turkey, in the wild, and you know I'm out chasing and watching turkeys year round.
            As I understand IA regs it's legal because it is not illegal. Just don't shoot it while riding a horse. Using a horse to hunt turkeys is explicitly illegal. Thank Teddy Roosevelt for that law. Anyway I would shoot that white bird during the fall without hesitation. If it turned out to be jake; shoot it in spring too.
            Wow. If you haven't seen one I guess it must be unusual. I will have to make a point of hunting that property, even though I usually just deer hunt there in the fall. Have shot a number of spring gobblers there though. I can't find any mention of white turkeys in the Iowa turkey hunting regs, so I guess you're probably right. I didn't know that about hunting turkeys off a horse. Not really a big deal for me anyway...lol. Can't imagine it would be tremendously effective.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by charlie elk View Post
              Smart guy you are hft. Checked to see if any meta data was left in that pic... You either wiped it or your camera does not record it. You'd be surprised how many hunters post trail cam pics online with all the meta data. An excellent scouting tool for those who know what to look for. :-D)
              I really try to avoid leaving any metadata in photos I post online, and this camera doesn't happen to record any. I have heard of guys giving away their hunting spots that way, although a person would have to be a low piece of **** to steal someone's spot like that.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by JM View Post
                -Friend of mine sent me a picture this morning of an albino raccoon he got on his camera. Not sure why it would be illegal in Iowa. I think I would shoot it if I had the chance, but I doubt I ever will. Then again, I doubt you expected one on the camera. Why I love hunting and fishing...you just never know what you will see.
                -Also, I answered you on my question thread.
                Yeah, if I would be so fortunate as to shoot it, I'd probably have it mounted. It would be a true once-in-a-lifetime trophy.

                Comment


                • #9
                  That is really cool Huntfishtrap. You are a lucky fellow and I hope you will have it mounted above the fireplace someday

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Kody View Post
                    That is really cool Huntfishtrap. You are a lucky fellow and I hope you will have it mounted above the fireplace someday
                    Thank you Kody. I certainly hope so too. Will let you guys know if our paths cross.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      A great photo. Seeing that bird would have certainly caused me a double take. Interesting the other birds appear to take the off color for granted.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by charlie elk View Post
                        Smart guy you are hft. Checked to see if any meta data was left in that pic... You either wiped it or your camera does not record it. You'd be surprised how many hunters post trail cam pics online with all the meta data. An excellent scouting tool for those who know what to look for. :-D)
                        If one is silly enough to post photos with metadata don't you think they deserve to have their hunting location taken? Isn't that like posting a big light flashing bill board above it saying come hunt here?
                        I regularly check data for the purpose of uncovering population dynamics, travel corridors and other behavioral trends of both game and hunters. These days my scouting is more about where hunters are hunting and how many are hunting on any given day. I hunt where they do not. Hunters are the most pattern-able species, with few exceptions.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by charlie elk View Post
                          Guess you have your fall bird picked out, eh? I have never seen a white wild turkey, in the wild, and you know I'm out chasing and watching turkeys year round.
                          As I understand IA regs it's legal because it is not illegal. Just don't shoot it while riding a horse. Using a horse to hunt turkeys is explicitly illegal. Thank Teddy Roosevelt for that law. Anyway I would shoot that white bird during the fall without hesitation. If it turned out to be jake; shoot it in spring too.
                          Iowa is the only state that forbids hunting turkeys from horseback. I think, because coursing was widely used and some believe it was one of the tactics that decimated turkeys in your state.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
                            Photo
                            Would you be so kind and email me a higher resolution of this pic? I would like to take a closer look to try and determine if that white turkey is a jake or jenny. When this pic is enlarged it's too grainy. Thanks in advance.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by charlie elk View Post
                              Smart guy you are hft. Checked to see if any meta data was left in that pic... You either wiped it or your camera does not record it. You'd be surprised how many hunters post trail cam pics online with all the meta data. An excellent scouting tool for those who know what to look for. :-D)
                              I don't think so. Many hunters have never even heard of metadata, and even those that do sometimes don't know that their cameras may record it automatically. Looking at the metadata on someone's photo crosses a line for me. I wouldn't do it, and I certainly would never use that information to decide where to hunt. I guess if you're using that knowledge to avoid the other guy's spot, maybe it's OK, but it still makes me uncomfortable.

                              Comment

                              Welcome!

                              Collapse

                              Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

                              If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

                              And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

                              Right Rail 1 Ad

                              Collapse

                              Top Active Users

                              Collapse

                              There are no top active users.

                              Right Rail 2 Ad

                              Collapse

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Right Rail 3 Ad

                              Collapse

                              Footer Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X