Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The old gobbler snuck in and is now staring at you from 23 yards. What do you do now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The old gobbler snuck in and is now staring at you from 23 yards. What do you do now?

The old gobbler snuck in and is now staring at you from 23 yards. What do you do now?

Shoot him of course - duh!

Comment

Swing around and shoot him... although at your age that much physical rigor may cause you to strain something. Please act within your own physical limits.
      Turkey hunters, jeez, overcomplicating shooting a big, ugly bird.

Comment

I try to wait for a bit to see if he relaxes, but if he doesn't and he is clear, I mount my gun and shoot him. He'll try to duck his head and run, but if he's at 23 yards, he will still be within 30 by the time I'm on him.

Comment

I am with Captain on this turkey business. Yes, my only experience with turkeys is visiting the family farm as a boy and having the flock follow me around the barn yard like a bunch of vultures. I hear plenty about these cagey wild turkeys and can't imagine the domestic version ever getting that smart. OK, I will assume they are that challenging a game bird but I fail to understand there being any othere answer to your question than to get the shotgun up fast and pull the trigger. I get it, they are alert enough that you must do everything right to get them in range. It is the shooting part that has me mystified. I have NEVER shot a game bird on the ground with a shotgun. What's so hard about taking down a turkey? How can you miss a standing target with a 12 guage? Maybe you give them a chance and flush them before firing? Is that plumage some kind of body armour? Now that I have you turkey addict's attention, educate me and that transplanted Texan about these lead defying turkeys.

Comment

Charlie Elk, we should not let the Texan who calls himself The Captain get away with suggesting you and I ( guilt by association as he knows we are of a similar age) are getting too infirm to make the quick shots. What these younger fellow do not understand is we are miles ahead of them in years and in the ability to make quick decisions. We are swinging the firearm and pulling the trigger while the younger guys are still thinking, "Should I, or shouldn't I"? I am not just talking turkey here, cause that is the moment of indecision that lets the girl of your dreams get away. It takes years to get past the 'wonder' years and arrive at points of certainty that only age and experience can deliver When you are young your impulses are random and hit and miss in terms of being right or wrong. It is the burden of youth and the school of hard knocks. It sure is comforting to know with age those impulses are usually on target

Comment

Originally posted by Kody View Post
              I am with Captain on this turkey business. Yes, my only experience with turkeys is visiting the family farm as a boy and having the flock follow me around the barn yard like a bunch of vultures. I hear plenty about these cagey wild turkeys and can't imagine the domestic version ever getting that smart. OK, I will assume they are that challenging a game bird but I fail to understand there being any othere answer to your question than to get the shotgun up fast and pull the trigger. I get it, they are alert enough that you must do everything right to get them in range. It is the shooting part that has me mystified. I have NEVER shot a game bird on the ground with a shotgun. What's so hard about taking down a turkey? How can you miss a standing target with a 12 guage? Maybe you give them a chance and flush them before firing? Is that plumage some kind of body armour? Now that I have you turkey addict's attention, educate me and that transplanted Texan about these lead defying turkeys.
              What??? I'm in shock over you agreeing with The Captain!! That has to be a first. Lol Don't you have wild turkeys up there in Alberta? Regarding them being hard to kill, I would more or less agree, because I've only missed one with a gun in my about 10 years of hunting them. But I will say that there are a lot of people who think that they are faster than a turkey, only to find out that was incorrect when they tried to shoot a bird that "had the drop on them". Turkeys have astonishingly fast reflexes, and absolutely no curiosity - if they think something is wrong, they run or fly first and ask questions later. If you are not in an awkward position, you can swing your gun and bring down a turkey that's seen you, but if you have to turn around or get up, forget about it. Part of it is that some people think you shouldn't body-shoot turkeys, but there's really no problem with it (except all the pellets in the meat) as long as the bird is within 35 yards and you're using #5 shot or bigger.

Comment

Right you are HFTt I must be cautious agreeing with the Captain. We Albertans have so many qualities you would associate with Texans we have to discipline ourselves not to speak with a drawl. Thanks for the info. I don't expect Charlie Elk who is a rabid turkey hunter and likely offended by my comments to calm down enough to respond quite yet. I will try that turkey hunting some day .... Add it to my list.

Comment

Charlie Elk, we should not let the Texan who calls himself The Captain get away with suggesting you and I ( guilt by association as he knows we are of a similar age) are getting too infirm to make the quick shots. What these younger fellow do not understand is we are miles ahead of them in years and in the ability to make quick decisions. We are swinging the firearm and pulling the trigger while the younger guys are still thinking, "Should I, or shouldn't I"? I am not just talking turkey here, cause that is the moment of indecision that lets the girl of your dreams get away. It takes years to get past the 'wonder' years and arrive at points of certainty that only age and experience can deliver When you are young your impulses are random and hit and miss in terms of being right or wrong. It is the burden of youth and the school of hard knocks. It sure is comforting to know with age those impulses are usually on target
                  That may be true, and it's a good thing it is too, because you old-timers need all the help you can get.

Comment

Originally posted by the captain View Post
                    Swing around and shoot him... although at your age that much physical rigor may cause you to strain something. Please act within your own physical limits.
                    Captain do you go looking for danger like some kind of adrenalin junkie. Making fun of turkey hunters falls under that category.....Umm..OK Count me in!

Comment

Never offended and rarely angry. Life is just too short. Explaining why we hunt to a non-hunter is difficult, same applies to hunters who hunt other things. So rather than go into a long philosophical explanation I'll suggest you go try your hand at turkey hunting. Since the only place turkeys are found in Canada is Ontario and since WI is only a little further for you to travel...I publicly invite you to enjoy a WI spring turkey hunt with charlie.

Comment

I will accept that offer Charlie Elk. I hope they let me across the border with all the camouflage
                        paint on my face. We will talk.
                        Kody

Comment

I have flushed out The Captain, his disdain of turkeys is legendary. He thinks they're an easy bag with a rifle at 500 yards; not worthy of any more time than a trigger squeeze. This disdain likely comes from fear that an ugly bird with no memory capabilities and a brain smaller than a walnut may beat him in the up close game. Typical of Texans that watch the western movies with the tough dude who squints and spits before he shoots. Well let me lay that myth to rest once and for all- In Texas you have to squint and spit to get the sand out your eyes and mouth. It's such a dust bowl there even Texas turkeys are constantly drumming and spitting to get the dust out of their eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by the captain View Post
                            Oh Yeah! Well guys maybe we'll need to plan a turkey hunting showdown and see how you fare here in WI.

Comment

Excellent. I'll get to work on the plan to get you across the border.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget