Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how do you prepare a wild turkey for roasting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do you prepare a wild turkey for roasting?

how do you prepare a wild turkey for roasting?

How specific of an answer would you like? From the second it is killed? If there is anything specific you need help with that I do not address just let me know.
    -The cooking portion is very similar to a store bought bird. Wild turkeys have very little fat, so you will need to make sure to keep it moist.
    -First decide if you want the skin on or skin off. It is easier to just skin the bird(I assume you would know how to do this, but if not let me know and I can expand on it). If you want to leave the skin on you will have to pluck the feathers and get rid of the pin feathers afterwords. If you have a big enough pot dump the turkey into boiling water(hold the turkey by the legs and put it in head first) for around 30 seconds and it will make plucking much easier. You can pluck the feathers without dumping it into the water, but it will be a much more challenging task. You will then have to get rid of the pin feathers by singing them. You need to have some sort of flame(I use a grill lighter) to singe these feathers off(It takes very little time for each feather but there is quite a few of them).
    -After you either skin or pluck the turkey you will need to gut it. Cut from just above the vent/anus up towards the breast bone until your hand can fit in. Then cut through the skin around the vent and pull everything out and then rinse it out. Next break/pop the knee at the joint and cut each one off. Next cut the head off(up to you if you want the neck or not).

Comment

Good advice from JM. I have found that the skin on a wild turkey isn't fatty enough to keep it very moist so it's really not worth the work to pluck them. I'll just generally replace the skin with bacon before cooking. Also, the older birds have very tough legs and thighs, so they should be cooked low and slow and with some moisture to make them tender. I usually crock pot them and cook the breast separately.

Comment

They are easy to roast. Leave the skin on for more moisture. I usually cut the drumsticks off and cook them separately, as 4everAutumn suggested, and the same with the two outer joints of the wings.

If you have a "turkey cannon" your troubles are over. (Everybody should have one.) Otherwise, put the turkey, breast up, (I have used skewers to help hold it in place) in a cooking pan, pour a can of beer into the body cavity and into the pan. Seal the pan with a tent of foil and cook for the same time you would for a store-bought turkey of the same weight. You may want to take off the foil tent for the last 30-45 minutes to let the bird brown a little. It doesn't seem possible that something this simple could taste so great, but it does. Bon apetit.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• The college student puzzle..
          by 99explorer
          A student rides his scooter to the train station to go to college. His home in between two train stations.
          The first station is a mile from home,...
          Yesterday, 01:58 PM
        • Pieces of gold.
          by 99explorer
          Which is worth more, a pound of $10 gold pieces, or half a pound of $20 gold pieces?
          08-23-2019, 06:45 PM
        • Mansion on fire.
          by 99explorer
          One of Jeffrey Epstein's mansions is on fire.
          It has three main rooms. One is full of money in cash, another contains valuable paintings, and the...
          08-23-2019, 10:04 AM
        • Firing squad.
          by 99explorer
          A man is shot by 12 members of a firing squad, and the squad officer administers the coup de grace with a bullet to the head.
          This final shot does...
          08-22-2019, 09:07 PM
        • Lost in the woods.
          by 99explorer
          You are lost in the woods and come to a fork in the road.
          One path leads to civilization and the other will get you lost forever.
          Two Indians...
          08-22-2019, 01:24 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X