Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I recently found an old 12 gauge Mossberg 500 in a back closet and have some 3 inch mag shok turkey loads from federal premium. What kind of patterning can I expect? Are there any other turkey loads you may prefer for gobblers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I recently found an old 12 gauge Mossberg 500 in a back closet and have some 3 inch mag shok turkey loads from federal premium. What kind of patterning can I expect? Are there any other turkey loads you may prefer for gobblers?

I recently found an old 12 gauge Mossberg 500 in a back closet and have some 3 inch mag shok turkey loads from federal premium. What kind of patterning can I expect? Are there any other turkey loads you may prefer for gobblers?

It depends on what choke the gun has. If it is full choke, you should be good to go for turkey.

Comment

The choke for the barrel is stamped into the barrel itself. You can get some large pieces of cardboard or buy some patterning targets to see how well the shotgun does. This will also tell you how well your pattern is centered. Those loads you have should be fine. I always use 3 inch magnum #4 for turkey and they always did the job.

Comment

Since you said it is an "old" Mossberg 500 first make sure that it can even handle a 3" magnum load. As others already asked, what is the choke on the barrel? In reality those older 500's probably shoot better than the new ones!

Comment

It depends on what choke the gun has, and what # shot is in the shells. If the gun has a full choke, and the shells are #4s, you should be in good shape out to 40 yards. If the shells contain 5s or 6s, you might be good out to 45, maybe even 50. I wouldn't shoot at a live bird beyond 40 without actually patterning the gun though, just to be sure what your maximum range is.
          I personally use 3.5" #5 Winchester Supreme turkey loads in my 870, combined with a Remington Super-Full choke. I can get consistent turkey-killing patterns out to 55 yards with that combo, and it has never let me down.

Comment

As others have said, your pattern will depend on the choke size. You just need to get out and shoot it to see how it performs. You may want to try some different brands and loads of shells too. My favorite turkey gun is a BPS 10 gauge with a Browning XX full choke. It patterns best with Winchester Supreme 3.5 inch #5 shot. You don't really need that much gun, but I like the how it performs so I use it. I have killed turkeys with a 20 gauge 870 with 2 3/4 inch #6's. Main thing is, you have to know the limits of your setup and don't push beyond that.

Comment

It has one of those adjustable chokes on the muzzle, and can only be full, modified, or improved. Not sure how that affects my patterning or not..?

Comment

Originally posted by FlyBum101 View Post
                It has one of those adjustable chokes on the muzzle, and can only be full, modified, or improved. Not sure how that affects my patterning or not..?
                Sounds like a Poly-Choke, or something similar. The Full setting on that might not be as tight as a standard Full choke, but you still should be in good shape out to about 40 yards. If possible I would pattern it on a sheet of newspaper or something like that before hunting with it though, just to be on the safe side.

Comment

Choke threads on Mossbergs are uniform, you can go pattern each one to your heart's content or go buy new ones.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• The college student puzzle..
                    by 99explorer
                    A student rides his scooter to the train station to go to college. His home in between two train stations.
                    The first station is a mile from home,...
                    Yesterday, 01:58 PM
                  • Pieces of gold.
                    by 99explorer
                    Which is worth more, a pound of $10 gold pieces, or half a pound of $20 gold pieces?
                    08-23-2019, 06:45 PM
                  • Mansion on fire.
                    by 99explorer
                    One of Jeffrey Epstein's mansions is on fire.
                    It has three main rooms. One is full of money in cash, another contains valuable paintings, and the...
                    08-23-2019, 10:04 AM
                  • Firing squad.
                    by 99explorer
                    A man is shot by 12 members of a firing squad, and the squad officer administers the coup de grace with a bullet to the head.
                    This final shot does...
                    08-22-2019, 09:07 PM
                  • Lost in the woods.
                    by 99explorer
                    You are lost in the woods and come to a fork in the road.
                    One path leads to civilization and the other will get you lost forever.
                    Two Indians...
                    08-22-2019, 01:24 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X