Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I shot a decent turkey yesterday and wanted to skin out the fan to mount it. Any tips/methods on doing so?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I shot a decent turkey yesterday and wanted to skin out the fan to mount it. Any tips/methods on doing so?

I shot a decent turkey yesterday and wanted to skin out the fan to mount it. Any tips/methods on doing so?

There are some great videos on youtube showing the process and its really easier than most people think.
    Cut higher up on the back (i.e., keep more feathers) than you think you will want that way you don't end up short.
    Cut as much meat and fat off the base of the quills as you can while not taking the tissue in between them all the way off.
    Spread it out as it naturally would sit and cover it liberally with borax and it will be ready shortly. I gave mine a week or two to dry because I was in no hurry.
    The feet and beard are easy to keep as well so don't be afraid to just cut them off and borax them too.
    Good Luck.

Comment

There are some great videos on youtube showing the process and its really easier than most people think.
      Cut higher up on the back (i.e., keep more feathers) than you think you will want that way you don't end up short.
      Cut as much meat and fat off the base of the quills as you can while not taking the tissue in between them all the way off.
      Spread it out as it naturally would sit and cover it liberally with borax and it will be ready shortly. I gave mine a week or two to dry because I was in no hurry.
      The feet and beard are easy to keep as well so don't be afraid to just cut them off and borax them too.
      Good Luck.

Comment

Open the fan up. And then put borax on it, then clamp it so it will stay open. Once the borax sets it will stay open and look great.

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

To help in keeping the fan open, try placing the fan down on a piece of cardboard and place pins into the cardboard at regular intervals to help keep the feathers spread out evenly before drying the remaining skin/meat/tissue with borax. Might be too late to do this for your current bird (depending on how long it's already been drying) but a good idea to save for the next one.

Comment

The borax works ive done it. If its still able to move Tay is on the money with it. I use a piece of plywood and pin it faned out so thats how it dries. when its all said and done you can cover the dried part at the base of the feathers with glue from a hot glue gun or i have used body filler for automotive body repair. it sets up good and keeps the feathers in tack at the base, plus the display board will hide it.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• The college student puzzle..
                by 99explorer
                A student rides his scooter to the train station to go to college. His home in between two train stations.
                The first station is a mile from home,...
                Yesterday, 01:58 PM
              • Pieces of gold.
                by 99explorer
                Which is worth more, a pound of $10 gold pieces, or half a pound of $20 gold pieces?
                08-23-2019, 06:45 PM
              • Mansion on fire.
                by 99explorer
                One of Jeffrey Epstein's mansions is on fire.
                It has three main rooms. One is full of money in cash, another contains valuable paintings, and the...
                08-23-2019, 10:04 AM
              • Firing squad.
                by 99explorer
                A man is shot by 12 members of a firing squad, and the squad officer administers the coup de grace with a bullet to the head.
                This final shot does...
                08-22-2019, 09:07 PM
              • Lost in the woods.
                by 99explorer
                You are lost in the woods and come to a fork in the road.
                One path leads to civilization and the other will get you lost forever.
                Two Indians...
                08-22-2019, 01:24 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X