Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turkey hunters on tv are almost always near a large field. The turkeys I hunt wont leave a large stand of oak near their roost.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turkey hunters on tv are almost always near a large field. The turkeys I hunt wont leave a large stand of oak near their roost.

Turkey hunters on tv are almost always near a large field. The turkeys I hunt wont leave a large stand of oak near their roost. When do you know when to hunt the field or deep woods in a new area?

It's really pretty simple - go where the turkeys want to be. If there's one piece of information every aspiring turkey hunter should have, it would be that. The best caller in the world with the newest, most realistic-sounding calls won't have much success if they're set up where the turkeys don't want to go, but you can often kill birds without any calling at all by setting up between them and where they're going.
    As far as new areas go, it's worth your while to take a day or two off from hunting and thoroughly scout it, to find out where the birds are and what they're doing.

Comment

Find out where they're roosting. Setup between their roost and feed area.

Comment

huntfishtrap and cjohnsrud covered it well...personally, I think they hunt over fields on tv for the ease of recording...I've always had more luck in the woods(not that you can't kill turkeys over fields).

Comment

Turkeys are not always around fields, they just like big areas where they will be seen strutting. That does not always mean large fields though. Turkeys like to be protected from the wind when the winds are blowing hard. So that might mean in the forest. Also consider where their food source is coming from to locate them.

Comment

I always spend late afternoon and evening looking in open fields and at the edge of the woods if their there I note their direction of travel, I also drive the roads stopping and calling every so often to locate (without a gun in the vehicle!) when you get a reply sit on em and when its close to dusk when they start to roost call again a few times to get a general location, return in the morning & set up close as possible, then at shooting hours start calling em. its not 100% but it beats sitting in a patch of woods not knowing if their even in the same county as you. good luck

Comment

I think JM is right on with the guess that it's more for the sake of camera work. In general, though, turkeys will be in the fields a lot when it's wet or windy (they'd rather be wet than put up with all the noise and decreased hearing and visibility in the woods), and when there are lots of bugs to be eaten, or when it might be their last chance for bugs before cold weather. I've killed several fall birds by hunting on those warm Indian Summer days when the grasshoppers are still around; like cjohnsrud suggested, I set up in late afternoon between the field and the timber where they're roosting.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Dads gun #2 Browning auto5 20ga
                by dewman
                Last time it was shot was a pheasant hunt in Colorado in '84. I'll have to remedy that. This gun is feather light. Wish the choke was ic or mod. It's...
                Yesterday, 08:40 AM
              • Dads gun #1 S&W 28-2. .357
                by dewman
                Got my fathers 28-2 357 to go with my 29-2 44mag. Check out the safari land flap holster. ...
                Yesterday, 07:59 AM
              • What is taking so long ?
                by jhjimbo
                Can't be that hard for the Administrator to 86 the spammers....
                09-21-2020, 07:52 PM
              • Burn cream
                by CD2
                Drugstore used to carry a white silver cream.
                No longer does.
                Was maybe 10 bucks or so for a little tube.
                Bargain.

Got...
                09-21-2020, 05:39 PM
              • Colorado surprise. Couple of dads guns.
                by dewman
                So even with all the wrangling being done to screw we 4 sons of my father I got a little lucky. Even though my stepmom is still alive and her 3 sons from...
                09-20-2020, 10:12 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X