Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good luck to everyone pursuing spring turkey.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good luck to everyone pursuing spring turkey.

Good luck to everyone pursuing spring turkey.

-Have any of you been having any luck? Stories to tell?
    -I finally found some time to go hunting today, but I didn't have any luck. Hopefully I can get one tomorrow because it will likely be the last chance I have this spring.

Comment

Good luck, JM!

Comment

Same to you! My season starts on Thursday and runs for 5 days so no stories yet.

Comment

Thanks, same to you JM. I need some good luck, although I know I'm making it tough on myself by hunting with a bow. I've had 4 gobblers in bow range, and haven't been able to release an arrow at any of them (one stayed behind brush the whole time, a jake busted me trying to draw on one, and the other 2 both saw me before I could shoot, because they caught me by surprise and I couldn't set up behind cover).
          Then this morning I had 5 jakes come in, and couldn't pass up the opportunity, but somehow I blew an easy 20 yard shot. When the arrow hit a huge cloud of feathers exploded, and the bird fell over and started flopping convulsively like I'd spined it, but after a few seconds, it popped up and trotted off like nothing had happened, except that one wing was hanging a bit lower than normal. There was no blood at all on my arrow, and only a few drops on the ground. It ran into a big patch of dense brush, and I looked for a while, but couldn't find anything. First turkey I've ever lost with a bow or gun, and it sucks.

Comment

Good hunting everyone.
            I killed a double beard on the 10th of April, WI opening day with a snow storm raging. Picture and story is on my blog. (can't post photos on OL any longer)
            Had 2 tags for WI third season and tagged out with 2 nice toms.
            Yesterday was the start of WI 4th season and I have 4 tags, a woods with 20 inches of snow and more rain and snow in the forecast. Should make for an interesting season.
            One of my long time hunting partners was shot while scouting turkeys on Tuesday. It appears he'll be OK, other than the surgery he'll need to remove some shot from behind an eye and the 50 pellets he has throughout his face and shoulder some of which will work their way out and the others will be in him for life.
            MWK_MN you may have heard or seen the story in the papers about the MN Washington County Sheriff who was shot. That's my buddy. www.twincities.com has one of the more complete stories.
            He is out of the hospital and planning on hunting. Trust me Jerry is one tough hombre and he'll get his turkey boot. Hunt on brothers.
            later,
            charlie

Comment

huntfishtrap,
              Did you try using a bird dog to track your turkey? Last year I let Vic (the turkey dog) help 3 archers find their turkeys. Vic found 2 of those turkeys more than 300 yards from point of shot. For tracking turkeys a dog is the only way to go.
              Good luck.
              later,
              charlie

Comment

Charlie Elk, Yes I heard about your buddy getting shot. Unbelievable that that kind of thing happens and to a firearms instructor? Wow just wow. Now he will have a real life example to show his students. Hopefully the scars are very minimal and the surgery goes well. Could have been a lot worse. He mentioned he didn't wear red, white and blue but obviously that didn't matter. I have put a blaze orange hat in my turkey backpack and wear it walking around the woods, you just never know. But seriously how can you mistake a person for a turkey that's just crazy. What do you think the consequences should be for the hunter who shot him? I read he was 27 and an accomplished turkey hunter who has taken around 30 birds in many states. Not at all inexperienced and should have known better. I think every ten years or so people should have to take a couple hour refresher safety course.

Comment

Oh and I went hunting today and saw lot's of birds but they were uninterested in calling and only got to about 60 yards to a tom. Large groups with toms strutting so I think they were preoccupied. Tomorrow's another day.

Comment

Jerry is a long time MN hunter safety instructor who teaches hunters how to avoid these accidents. I taught MN hunter education for 20+ years, in particular turkey hunting and its safety. As part of our volunteer instructing we have studied the anatomy of hunting accidents--
                    It is extremely important for all us to understand how one of these accidental shootings happens from the shooter's perspective.
                    Consider the average shooter in accidents have 17+ years of hunting experience.
                    What?! How can this be?
                    A psychological condition called "premature closure"-- this is when an experience hunter's subconscious brain takes all the visual and auditory clues that he has seen and heard so many times before with approaching game; he becomes convinced a turkey is present. He prematurely closes out other conflicting ques and instead the shooter begins searching for parts of the turkey, head, wing, movement, etc.
                    The victim camouflaged is mostly hidden. It is the parts of the man; a white hand, piece of his cheek, ear lobe, exposed neck or t shirt that is screened by brush and moves a bit. The human form is hidden from the shooters view and a form of tunnel vision occurs. This is when the accident happens.
                    The shooter obviously could prevent this by pausing double and triple checking his target.
                    Should you ever suspect another turkey hunter is nearby talk out loud, do not move, do not get up to leave or wave. Talk, shout or yell until you get his attention because he might be convinced part of you is a turkey already.
                    In no way is any of the above intended to excuse the shooter. It is the shooter who has the responsibility and obligation to ensure the safety of all those around him. Never assume you are immune to becoming the shooter who causes an accident. This alone could keep you from suffering premature closure.
                    Have safe and good hunting,
                    later,
                    charlie
                    P.S. MWK_MN it is too early for me state publically the penalty the shooter should pay. There is just no excuse and he did not render aid. Perhaps due to his state of shock. At the very least the shooter should never ever hunt again.

Comment

Very interesting Charlie Elk thanks for that information. That makes sense about the tunnel vision and the confidence of yourself from previous experience that it's a game animal. If only every hunter was required to hear that information every 10 years they might not become so bold and be a little more careful. I just think education is the key to safety and have seen people who are older that need to hear things over again because I can see they are too careless. I think people do not retain a lot of things they learned when they were 12. Most of it is common sense but a lot of people come up short on common sense and too many of these tragedies happen, usually with worse outcomes during deer season.

Comment

Hey charlie; No I didn't try to use a dog to find that turkey, for two reasons. One, as far as I know, looking for hit big-game species (including turkeys) with dogs isn't legal here in Iowa (dumb, IMO, should be legal everywhere). But that wouldn't have stopped me, if I had access to a dog that WOULD blood-trail a turkey. We have a yellow Lab, but she's old, and has Hip Dysplasia, so she can't handle running around in the woods. None of my family/friends own bird dogs, so I didn't really have any other options.
                        I really don't think we would've found anything even with a good dog, I clearly didn't hit it through the body cavity, or it would've acted hit as it ran off, and there would've been blood on the arrow. It still had two good legs anyway, so it could've easily run away from us even if we did stumble across it. I'm not even sure my hit was fatal, I think he hurt the wing when he was flopping.

Comment

BTW charlie, I hope your friend has a quick recovery and is able to get back out in the woods soon.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Colorado surprise. Couple of dads guns.
                            by dewman
                            So even with all the wrangling being done to screw we 4 sons of my father I got a little lucky. Even though my stepmom is still alive and her 3 sons from...
                            Today, 10:12 PM
                          • Now That's Service
                            by jhjimbo
                            Had my local Jeep dealer mount two tires and rotate some. When they did that they also spray painted my rims to cover up some brake dust stains I could...
                            Today, 07:57 PM
                          • Lost some cover; pic heavy
                            by fitch270
                            ​ ​ ​ Long story shorter, my Aunt’s 70’ish year old spring line plugged up last Friday, a combination of old iron pipe and poly. The only way to...
                            Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                          • Covid-19
                            by jhjimbo
                            Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
                            09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
                          • Spur of the moment rifle
                            by Amflyer
                            I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
                            09-17-2020, 11:25 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X