Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Happy "winter" turkey hunt (whenever it is starting soon). I just checked noaa.gov, and the entire state just got covered in sno

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy "winter" turkey hunt (whenever it is starting soon). I just checked noaa.gov, and the entire state just got covered in sno

Happy "winter" turkey hunt (whenever it is starting soon). I just checked noaa.gov, and the entire state just got covered in snow, and is staying...again. Hope this weather isn't affecting specie populations for this year. I am glade that the last four seasons during the spring hunt are over the counter. Will this prolonged winter move the turkey rut to a later date?

Minnesota has a tough string of winter storms. I didn't realize that your turkeys seasons were opening. That could make it tough hunting.

Comment

Yeah, I think the weather will extend gobbling and strutting later into the spring, although actual nesting dates probably won't be affected much. 1st season (and bow season) opened this morning here in Iowa, but I wasn't able to get out, because I'm recovering from a bad case of the flu (bummer!). The weather the rest of this week sounds crappy anyway, so I probably won't miss much.

Comment

This year is going to be my first year turkey hunting, and as a youth, I was able to get a tag for any season here in MN. Didn't expect the snow storm last week, so looks like I will be hunting in the snow Wednesday morning! Any advice for me? I'm on some public land near my house, and know there is at least one turkey out there, and judging by the tracks it is a tom. Hope your seasons are successful!

Comment

There was an article in the sports section of the Pioneer Press on Sunday about turkey hunting. One of the guys interviewed said the snow won't affect the breeding habits. Snow or no snow they will be doing their thang.

Comment

abhoopshunter22, get out there early and find your bird roosting in the tree with a locater call before he flies down. The snow on the ground is a good thing for you cause your hunting public land and that will keep some hunters inside perhaps.

Comment

WI first season for learn to hunt program opened March 30, youth season Apr 6 and the first regular season opened Apr 10.
              I was drawn for the first season, last Wednesday the 10th, I killed my first turkey of the year before noon a "doubled beard lightweight" as I call him. It was cold, snowing, freezing rain and high wind; For those interested the full story with pictures is posted on my blog www.charlieelk.com
              I also have video up there of the learn to hunt event in Howards Grove, WI.
              A tip to find turkeys now is to look for "snow insects". Check out that post and the reply with a research link from a UM cold stream fish researcher about winter time insects. This is a tip you'll not see anywhere else.
              The turkeys are out there in MN and WI however, many of the traditional spring tactics don't work as well with all the cold temps, ice and snow cover. So, I have a post explaining how to legally bait turkeys.
              WI has a winter turkey season and my first turkey hunt this year felt like I was picking up right where I left hunting last December 31st. There are some of my posts here on OL and on my blog describing the techniques for winter turkey setups.
              Good Luck hunting.
              later,
              charlie

P.S. OL would not allow me to post links to any of my previous OL posts on the above subjects nor any link other than my general blog link.

Comment

abhoopshunter22, use a blind, whether natural or pop up. use decoys (cheap ones for 10 dollars)..get a box call and do turkey yelps

Comment

Thanks for the input! Gettin' pumped for tomorrow morning! I will let you all know how the season goes. Thanks

Comment

I forgot you had your own blog Charlie Elk. Sounds like some real good stuff on it. Will be checking it out for sure. Keep us posted abhoops.

Comment

MWK_MN & MNwhitetailHunter when are your MN seasons? Are you considering coming across the border to WI? NR tag in WI is only $60 and there are 40,000+ OTC tags left.
                      Good hunting abhoopshunter22 make sure to let us know how it goes.
                      later,
                      charlie

Comment

It started TODAY! runs until the 30th of May. Seasons are usually (bow/gun) five days each (seasons A-H). Im planning on hunting the last four with a Bow. The DNR this year allowed all of the last four to be hunted with a bow by buying a over the counter license. IF I have the time I will go out.

Comment

I have a friend that hunts the "turkey capital of the world" in Minnesota. I have only bow hunted in those "mountains" once before. You must have a good turkey population near you then.

Comment

Don't know about Caledonia, MN being turkey capital of the world. But it is the MN turkey capital.
                            Depending on who is doing the turkey population estimates WI is in the top 3 states, those being PA, MO and WI. Actual harvest numbers last year had WI number 2 right behind MO the year before WI beat MO.
                            There are so many turkeys in some areas of WI the WDNR allows depredation hunts.
                            So if you get time come on over and enjoy some affordable outstanding turkey hunting.
                            In any case enjoy your MN hunt that 4 week deal is pretty cool.
                            later,
                            charlie

Comment

Charlie Elk, I'm hunting season D here which is May 2-6. I'm taking 3 buddies, one for his first time, and all have never gotten a turkey before so I'm really excited for this hunt. Hopefully I can get them to kill some birds. I watched that video on your blog about taking newcomers out hunting, sounds like a great project. It sure is rewarding getting someone new introduced to hunting. Last night I actually spent a while looking for that conversation we had a couple years ago about good public land in WI just over the border but I couldn't find it. Care to recommend some good grounds again? Not sure if I'll make it over there this Spring but it could happen. I'm getting addicted to turkey hunting and that $60 doesn't sound so bad the more I think about it. My dad's buddy went out this morning and I showed up for a bit and scouted the area. I heard one gobble and saw about 30 turkeys but he only had some hens stroll by him. We hunt kinda down by Hastings area. Sure was great hearing that first gobble of the year.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• bedding on new rifle
                                by Amflyer
                                Finally painted some release and on the action and blocked the undercuts with clay. Was out of the commercial release, a vinyl paint on solution by Brownells,...
                                Today, 12:22 AM
                              • Pictures blocked when logged out?
                                by fitch270
                                Can't quite figure this one out since it doesn't happen on F&S, if I'm not logged in posted pictures aren't showing up. Doubt its just me.
                                Yesterday, 08:57 PM
                              • Son of a Fitch: turkey taxidermy
                                by fitch270

The kid put this together with his solo bird from this spring. He split a slice of maple for the mounting board, dried the...
                                09-23-2020, 07:43 PM
                              • Dads gun #2 Browning auto5 20ga
                                by dewman
                                Last time it was shot was a pheasant hunt in Colorado in '84. I'll have to remedy that. This gun is feather light. Wish the choke was ic or mod. It's...
                                09-22-2020, 08:40 AM
                              • Dads gun #1 S&W 28-2. .357
                                by dewman
                                Got my fathers 28-2 357 to go with my 29-2 44mag. Check out the safari land flap holster. ...
                                09-22-2020, 07:59 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X