Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am trying to build up my turkey call collection and I already have a couple of pot calls and a box call, but I would like to g

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am trying to build up my turkey call collection and I already have a couple of pot calls and a box call, but I would like to g

I am trying to build up my turkey call collection and I already have a couple of pot calls and a box call, but I would like to get some mouth calls for calling in toms. What would be a good diaphragm call for a beginner?

They all have the same concept, so just buy the cheapest one available to learn the basics with.

Comment

This may ruffle the feathers (lol...sorry) of a few of the turkey hunters here, but you don't really need diaphragms to be a successful turkey hunter, IMHO. I may be a bit prejudiced because I can't use them (too strong of a gag reflex), but I've had very few situations where I felt they would've been helpful, and I much prefer the sound of pot, box, and wingbone calls. To my ears, most diaphragms sound a little fake.

Comment

Also; you might want to consider starting with the smallest one available. Personally, I never had any problems using them but some people cant use diaphragm calls no matter how much they practice due to a gag reflex.

Comment

@HFT,
          I agree that they are required to be successful, but I disagree that they sound fake(once you know what you are doing). There are also few other things I like about them. No movement required to use them(assuming you have a face mask on); you can have your gun up but still be able to call. You can have multiple in your pocket while taking up hardly any space at all. You can simply hold it between your teeth while moving spots and occasionally call with ease. Around here it can get pretty hot during turkey season, so the less you have to carry around the better.

Comment

I agree that they are not required* Sorry for 4 posts...

Comment

flextones spur collector its great for beginers, Daniel

Comment

For wind calls I use wingbone, trumpets, and tube calls. This is because of my over active gag reflexes which like htf, precludes the use of the diaphragm, even though at times it would be much easier afield for the reasons JM states.
                For in close turkey work I use Do-Ral Sassy Slate, it is a single-hand operated box with a built in acrylic striker mounted on the wood slider you pull with one finger. Great sounding little call.
                later,
                charlie

Comment

I'll work a variety of calls, but most of my birds have been taken using a diaphragm call. I've found the easies ones to teach newbies to use have been the Primos Sonic Dome calls. They seem very easy to catch on with.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget