Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is it a good idea to have more than one stiker for a slate call? has anyone tryed primos slick stick conditioning tool is it sma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is it a good idea to have more than one stiker for a slate call? has anyone tryed primos slick stick conditioning tool is it sma

is it a good idea to have more than one stiker for a slate call? has anyone tryed primos slick stick conditioning tool is it smart to get?, thanks Daniel

Hey daniel, you must be getting ready for some spring turkey hunting. Yes I think is a good idea to carry several strikers made of different woods and materials. Each will make your pot call sound different.
    I don't have any experience with the slick stick. All I use to condition my calls and strikers is small piece of 150 drywall screen. If your pot is slate then use a piece of Scotch Brite scrubber.
    later,
    charlie

Comment

charlie elk, yes i am geting ready for spring. this is my 3rd season and i want to try and get my first bird with my dad (i'am only 13 so i have to hunt with an adult). i have been practicing with my turkey calls all winter and am ready to go, just trying to get some more advice. if you have any tips for a newbie that would be great thanks,Daniel

Comment

charlie elk, yes i am geting ready for spring. this is my 3rd season and i want to try and get my first bird with my dad (i'am only 13 so i have to hunt with an adult). i have been practicing with my turkey calls all winter and am ready to go, just trying to get some more advice. if you have any tips for a newbie that would be great thanks,Daniel

Comment

man my laptop must be mest up sorry,Daniel

Comment

That's great Daniel your Dad is a lucky man to have a son like you. Hope you and your Dad have a good hunt. What state are hunting in and when do you get to start?
            I love turkey hunting spring and fall, use a turkey dog in fall to breakup the flock and then call em back in.
            I'll be starting the first week of April here in WI with 10 year old grandson. It will be his first hunt, can't wait.
            I have a blog were I write about turkeys a little bit at www.charlieelk.com might find a tip or 2 there too.
            Let me know what I can help you with.
            later,
            charlie

Comment

Charlie: One of the things I have always liked about your posts is that you always take the time for our younger hunters. You are always so very willing to share your passion and expertise.
              Daniel: You have a great time with your dad and enjoy every moment. Keep us up on how the hunts go.

Comment

thanks guys, charlie elk- my dad and i will be hunting in new york on a 1,000 acre farm that we are blessed to own. opening day is on may 1rst and ends may 31rst. thanks for sharing the link with me i am sure it will be helpful. i am sure we will have a great time and when turkey season does come i will be sure to let you guys know how it goes. Thanks, Daniel

Comment

Sounds like a great place to hunt.
                  Steve Hickoff tells me NY is a fabulous turkey state.
                  I've been thinking about hunting with the guys at Turkey Trot Acres during the fall. Steve Hickoff hunts there every year and highly recommends I make the trip out East, so I may be there for the Hickoff Kickoff some year.
                  Good hunting Daniel.
                  later,
                  charlie

Comment

Yes, it is a very good idea to have at least two different strikers for each pot, each kind of wood sounds a little different, and other kinds of materials (metal, carbon fiber, etc.) have their own sounds as well. I am a part-time custom turkey call maker, so IMO you can never have too many calls .
                    I haven't tried the Primos Slick Stick, but I have an off-brand conditioning tool that works great, so I am assuming the Primos one is good as well.
                    Good luck out there this spring.

Comment

thanks!! charlie elk- yes ti is the birds are here i just have trouble geting them to come to me. i am going to try to scout some any tips? not sure if crow calls will work in are area because we have so many here. but i am going to try a owl hooter from h.s. strut. in your experience how well do trail cams work for turkeys? also i don't want to many mouth calls but is it better to have 2 or 3 rather than 1 thanks again, Daniel

Comment

Daniel,
                        I don't have good success with using crow calling as a locator, there is a ton crows around in my area that never shut which I think, keep the turkeys accustom to their sounds.
                        Occasionally a trail cam will get turkey pictures. The problem with using them for hunting is that turkeys are very random in their habits. There one day not the next. Those who hunt them like deer by waylaying, have poor success rates for turkeys.
                        My gag reflexes are the best in the nation so I cannot give any advice on the mouth diaphragm calls. The only air calls I use are wing bones, trumpets, tube calls and ink pens.

later,
                        charlie

Comment

In case you have more questions I created a thread dedicated to you on the message board under turkey. Click on the "message board" in the menu at the top of this page and go to the turkey section. See you and anyone else who wants to participate there.
                          later,
                          charlie

Comment

thanks charlie, Daniel

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget