Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok ive been deer hunting forever and have several nice bucks to show for it including a 170 class 9 pointer. However I have been

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok ive been deer hunting forever and have several nice bucks to show for it including a 170 class 9 pointer. However I have been

Ok ive been deer hunting forever and have several nice bucks to show for it including a 170 class 9 pointer. However I have been looking for another type of hunting to get into because the area I now live in London, Ky is nit the best for deer. I have seen a lot of turkey more than ive seen deer here lately and there just on the side of the road. I have leased a farm for deer but at 2 and a half hours away it a long drive. I only bow hunt I do gun hunt occasionaly but I love the challenge of a bow. Here is my question how do I find a spot were turkey are or how to scout them and should I hunt from stand or ground. Ill be completely new to this so any advice is welcome

Since I can't see the land you are speaking about it is kind of hard to help. Turkey hunting is a learning process, just like deer hunting. Look for white poop on leaves(if there is a bunch at the base of a tree it probably means a turkey roosted there), places where they have been tearing up the ground looking for food, or feathers. You could hunt them from a stand I suppose, but everyone I know including myself hunt them on the ground(we do quite a bit of moving around).

Comment

You will just need to get out there and look around. Turkeys can make a lot of racket coming off the roost early in the morning and then roosting up in the evening. By the way, you could also check out the hog hunting in your area.

Comment

As far as the scouting goes, just go out and walk the woods and fields, if there are any, looking for places where they've scratched the ground duff away looking for food, and for droppings (just google turkey droppings if you don't know what they look like). Beyond that, going out pre-dawn in April and May and listening for gobbling from the roost is my favorite way of patterning turkeys.
        I know you said you like the challenge of hunting with a bow, but if you've never turkey hunted at all before, may I suggest going with a gun until you get your feet wet, bowhunting for turkeys might be a bit TOO much of a challenge for a rookie hunter. And DO NOT try hunting from a treestand, they are much more conditioned to look up for danger than deer are, and pick you out of the sky with ease if you so much as twitch.

Comment

I am not a good turkey hunter, i see turkey when deer hunting and see deer when turkey hunting. The very early and at dusk scouting is a good place to start. Listen for the location of the roost and then set up in the general area the next day. When they come out of the tree in the AM they sound like a flutter to the ground. A crow call in AM will get them excited.
          The hard part for me is to sit absolutely still - they can see the slightest movement.
          Final safety thought - DO NOT stalk a gobble sound. It could be another hunter calling and is a good way to get shot.
          Good luck and happy hunting.

Comment

Months before turkey hunting season you can throw bird seed or corn down on the ground. Set up a couple trail cameras around the bait pile. Come back in two or three weeks and check out the trail cam photos. You will see close ups of fat tom turkeys, with their beard and spur length size. Check with your Fish and Wildlife Department and make sure its legal to bait before the season. You do not need to bait during the season, just call them in with your turkey call.

Comment

I hunt mostly public ground, very large tracts, and prefer the run and gun approach. If I lose a battle of wits with the gobbler (not an uncommon occurrence), I'll just remember the location and try again another day, in another way.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Remington news
                by fitch270
                Just caught this on another forum, wanted to pass it along and get thoughts from anyone interested. Hopefully something good will come out of it.
                Yesterday, 05:55 PM
              • Grips and stocks
                by dewman
                so I was shooting the 357 I received from my father yesterday afternoon. The magnas that came on it gave me a good grip but were small enough to make...
                Yesterday, 08:55 AM
              • Youth pheasant hike
                by fitch270
                Just the girl and the younger dog today. Ok, so we went hunting but she didn't pop a primer.

Started out with a guilt trip, I let the dogs...
                09-26-2020, 08:41 PM
              • Son of a Fitch; goin' mobile
                by fitch270
                Kid got his drivers license today, only points off were for not actually turning to look behind him when he pulled out from parallel parking. I told him...
                09-25-2020, 08:27 PM
              • Unusual Sound
                by jhjimbo
                At camp in S. Ohio I was almost asleep and I heard the strangest howl-screech, bark that I have ever heard. Raised the hair on my neck. About 30min later...
                09-25-2020, 02:17 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X