Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First day of bird season! I got one chukar. My dog (he's not a bird dog) was worse than useless. Any ideas on how I can make him

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First day of bird season! I got one chukar. My dog (he's not a bird dog) was worse than useless. Any ideas on how I can make him

First day of bird season! I got one chukar. My dog (he's not a bird dog) was worse than useless. Any ideas on how I can make him more birdy? It took me all morning to make him understand I wanted him to walk in front of me.

If he's not bird dog, and he's older than a pup, you're probably up a creek.

Comment

Congrats on the first bird of the season. Today was the opening day for the archery season for whitetails. Had a nice buck pass at about 50 yards, but on the first day(Season lasts until middle of January) there is no way I am going to take a 50 yard shot. As far as training your dog goes, you can train it to do things like walk in front of you (like he was already doing at the end of the day), but expecting him to hunt like a bird dog that has been trained since a young pup is out of the question (i'm sure you already knew this). Just gradually keep teaching him simple skills and let them build up together. Good luck!

Comment

after raising bird dogs 30 years a friend dropped off a pair of rat terriers for me to take care of during his deployment.at first they just followed me but after a few trips began to realize what I was after,lol no they never pointed a single bird,but would sound like they were gagging when they smelled birds,gave me time to get ready for the birds to flush.just keep at it and the dog may show an interest if you make it fun for him. don;t expect miracles just have fun.

Comment

Thanks! I talked to a dog trainer and in a matter of a few hours had him 'going out' in front of me. I also had him finding and retreiving a chukar wing hidden around the house. I don't expect miracles. I just hope he will give me some warning before the birds jump.

Comment

Update! I gave up on Butcher. Instead, I rescued a 3 or 4 month old balck lab female. Hopefully next year Halle and I will be out finding birds together! Note: When I say I gave up on Butcher, I mean only as to bird dog expectations.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget