Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will turkeys answer a locator call in the fall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will turkeys answer a locator call in the fall?

Will turkeys answer a locator call in the fall?

Yes, they will.

Comment

-You and DSM's profile pictures look really similar(on my phones screen). For a second I thought you answered your own question =p.
      -As DSM already stated, yes they will answer a locator call.
      -I've had turkeys come in to coyote "locator" calls when hunting coyotes in the fall.

Comment

Interesting answers---I never thought to try one in the fall, but I don't do any fall turkey hunting.

Comment

If you can bust up a flock in the fall a locator call is very effective for getting them to get back together and then getting a shot. A couple years ago I broke up a flock while walking to my deer stand. You could hear them yelping back and forth for a hour or so until they were all back together.

Comment

If you mean, will they gobble at one like in the spring, probably not. However, turkey locator vocalizations, like kee-keeing, cutting, and cackling work very well for getting them to yelp.

Comment

You can locate fall turkeys by calling but not with a locator call as you do in the spring. In the fall you must use "turkey talk."
              When I don't know where the fall turkeys are I will walk along ridges, field edges or in open woodlands making lost yelps. In the fall turkeys have a strong desire to flock up, so lost yelping sometimes gets a response from the flock calling back to the lost turkey to come join them. Rarely will the flock come to the lost bird so the best tactic is to sneak as close as you can to the flock and then charge them to make them scatter in different directions.
              Then setup at the breakup location and make kee-kees, kee-kee runs and assembly calls.
              later,
              charlie

Comment

Great blog on fall turkey calls-

www.bestturkeydecoy.com/2012/10/16/fall-turkey-hunting-tips/

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Dads gun #2 Browning auto5 20ga
                  by dewman
                  Last time it was shot was a pheasant hunt in Colorado in '84. I'll have to remedy that. This gun is feather light. Wish the choke was ic or mod. It's...
                  Yesterday, 08:40 AM
                • Dads gun #1 S&W 28-2. .357
                  by dewman
                  Got my fathers 28-2 357 to go with my 29-2 44mag. Check out the safari land flap holster. ...
                  Yesterday, 07:59 AM
                • What is taking so long ?
                  by jhjimbo
                  Can't be that hard for the Administrator to 86 the spammers....
                  09-21-2020, 07:52 PM
                • Burn cream
                  by CD2
                  Drugstore used to carry a white silver cream.
                  No longer does.
                  Was maybe 10 bucks or so for a little tube.
                  Bargain.

Got...
                  09-21-2020, 05:39 PM
                • Colorado surprise. Couple of dads guns.
                  by dewman
                  So even with all the wrangling being done to screw we 4 sons of my father I got a little lucky. Even though my stepmom is still alive and her 3 sons from...
                  09-20-2020, 10:12 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X